Food Dehydrator recommendations?

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
Not really for me - but for our pooches.

They LOVE their 'Tater treats (Dehydrated Sweet Potato) - but I'm tired of paying 12-15 bucks for a bag of dried S.P. when for around a C-Note, I can probably BUY a decent dehydrator and make LOTS / save some moolah after that.

Cabellas sells many different models and some seem better than others in terms of durability / capacity / operation, & expandibility.

So - I have a few questions:
Q1. Anybody know what to get / what has worked well for you and why?
Q2. Any particular models / manufacturers to avoid?
Q3. Anything that I should be using to treat the raw slices before drying?

Penny, Sebastian, Scrappy and I thank you in advance!

This Excalibur is what's in my wish list, I saw someone here mention it here long ago - there's another one with a timer for an extra $50 or so. I've just always used the Ronco's that were given to me, finally did some Jerky on my WSM a few months back.

I have a 15 year old version of this Nesco American Harvest food dehydrator that has worked great. I don't have experience with the latest version, only that I've been very happy with mine and except for the lid, mine looks almost identical to what's shown in the new product photo.

I don't have any experience with that jerky shooter...mine didn't come with that. :)

I have a 15 year old version of this Nesco American Harvest food dehydrator that has worked great. I don't have experience with the latest version, only that I've been very happy with mine and except for the lid, mine looks almost identical to what's shown in the new product photo.

I don't have any experience with that jerky shooter...mine didn't come with that. :)

I was using my dads and it took a crap but not to bad for a 20+ year old piece of equipment. I went a head and bought another one and still use his old trays along with the new ones in it. The main difference between dads old one and the new ones is the heater and fan is in the lid. Where the old style had it in the base. Heat naturally rises, but the problem is when you do meats that are wet. The drippings gather in a non washable base, and it can cause the wire heating element to corrode.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice - I'm going with the recommended brand, but getting the "Gardenmaster" version:
-A bit higher Wattage (should handle a few more trays without much problem)
-Digital Temperature Control / Timer

When reading the reviews - A LOT of people seem to have trouble with their patience.
Should be no problem to those among us who are used to cooking on a WSM... ;)

I'll let'cha know how it works out after it arrives

Not planning to use it for Jerky - got a butcher shop within about 2 miles that makes REALLY GOOD jerky using cured, sliced Round Steak, real smoke, and two different seasoning blends that I love (for as much as I care to eet Jerky...) Mainly planning to have this thing pay for itself in about a year for what those sliced 'taters that our mutts crave cost.

(But if it works as good as advertised, I'll probably branch-out to trying some other stuff)

Last edited:
Update -

thanks for the advice - i'm going with the recommended brand, but getting the "gardenmaster" version:
-a bit higher wattage (should handle a few more trays without much problem)
-digital temperature control / timer

when reading the reviews - a lot of people seem to have trouble with their patience.
Should be no problem to those among us who are used to cooking on a wsm... ;)

i'll let'cha know how it works out after it arrives

not planning to use it for jerky - got a butcher shop within about 2 miles that makes really good jerky using cured, sliced round steak, real smoke, and two different seasoning blends that i love (for as much as i care to eet jerky...) mainly planning to have this thing pay for itself in about a year for what those sliced 'taters that our mutts crave cost.

(but if it works as good as advertised, i'll probably branch-out to trying some other stuff)

Made about 6 batches of 'Taters for the mutts so far - it's working really good.
-Scrub them with a Veggie Brush
-Slice them up
-Blanch them for about 3 minutes
-Rinse with cold water to stop the blanch
-Lay-out the slices on the trays
-Fire it up for about 12 + 3 hours

Pleasantly surprised to find that it shipped from Two Rivers, WI (next town up from my hometown!)
It's easy - Set and Forget (sort of like my WSM)

Cook's Illustrated highly recommends the Excalibur 3926TB Food Dehydrator in the September/October 2016 issue. This is the same dehydrator that Cliff mentioned in his reply but with the 26 hour timer.

Lots of positive ratings on Amazon. Made in Sacramento, CA, USA. :D

I agree 100% on the Excalibur. I cook gourmet meals and dehydrate them for backpackers and hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts. I have 6 Excaliburs and the oldest is 13 years old. They get lots and lots of use, going almost every day. In July and August, they are going 20/7. So far I have replaced the fan in 3 units and the Switch/thermostat in four at a minimal cost. They come with a 10 year guarantee. These units do not owe me a cent!!

I've had a Magic Mill model MFD-6100 for several years and love it. Pretty big, but we dehydrate a lot of peppers and other veggies, as well as making a lot of jerky.

Do any of you use or have experience with the Brod & Taylor Sahara folding dehydrator? Maybe a dehydrator design isn't rocket science in terms of effectiveness but the folding aspect appeals to me for storage purposes.
Fletch, I had no idea they made such a thing. I have their bread proofer, and it's a very well made piece of gear that I use with every batch of bread I make. Going strong after about 5 years, never an issue. So, nothing to add on their dehydrator, but at least a vote for quality gear in their product lineup! :)

R

I have an Excalibur digital and it’s fast, much faster than the company states. Where the manual says a 12 hour cook, it’s usually 6 or less, unless fully loaded. The digital version allows for a two stage cook, for example , 4 hours at 135F and then two more at 150F. I only use it a couple times a year, but it does the job. I wash all the trays and mesh in the dishwasher, at my own risk.:cool:

I agree 100% on the Excalibur. I cook gourmet meals and dehydrate them for backpackers and hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts. I have 6 Excaliburs and the oldest is 13 years old. They get lots and lots of use, going almost every day. In July and August, they are going 20/7. So far I have replaced the fan in 3 units and the Switch/thermostat in four at a minimal cost. They come with a 10 year guarantee. These units do not owe me a cent!!
Hawk, I’d like to hear more about the meals, do you have a recipe thread?

Back