What to do with smoked tomatoes

Brian Milam

Hello everyone.
I had found some great looking tomatoes and decided to smoke them on my WSM this past weekend. They were in foil pans, for about 1.5hrs at roughly 225 to 250 degrees. Still firm/moist, not dried, with just some smoke color and aroma to them when I pulled them off. Once cooled; I bagged and froze them in roughly 14.5oz portions (just like a can of diced tomatoes from the store for recipe following purposes).
I envision making some mighty fine chili this football season and I have a great recipe for a Rigatoni, White Beans, and Sausage medley that these would be absolutely perfect for......

But my question is this:
- What other awesome things does everyone else do with smoked tomatoes? Surely there must be more to this than just Chili, right? It's peak tomato season and I want to do more, but need some good excuses to fill the freezer.

Thanks

DSC_0319_zpsgl0xioxr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Soup sounds like an obvious option :)

How about using them on a pizza or a simple toasted sandwich?

Welcome to the forum Brian!

A few years back I lightly smoked some tomatoes, onions, and peppers and made salsa.

euwVHF0gko55b9x1uC5z8e0c8bTu2LhvNjGtaVybXmsqnh8curFUV0kiltqq1be8mTLiKxNJrW4f05zK0Rc75DtbBY4q7kG34W9OJXKx3i6gn8I5J9Ygdlsx_aiYkt201FTlu5i0tQ4YC_scnAqRUt3PwrKxcxwKWLUPE09c-cwEmz04v9hHy1uhdP0WTs1DME14wBbH2T9iiMhOvsurXPIXc7QcoX7mto7SuhtWUKf_R8jcy87AmHNG-2I_Dru49hfKnuTQMoAxAUNXTEPVGDaaEmsCIFRO6uJQCIMh71oAy-2jbp96Y0j80E5Pr4KrWt7myP-PSfFFOEIbEqXoPu7PaK6_pBA3GPiZomAMJQ_DVxXhs2csZsFfFpSkQxe_FQWhERGbiBJ27JUXFB5bn01zJqYqyS-V0Dg2fkdPXMmmHJdjYn4MFEKwUAkrZJAvs7GdeAkl4BXSn7RAWrxS8-WD3rOaMm8GwJlD9Q5uEtIBlrk-__dDrom5xN25fsB-L0lvYIoBdXgbZJR---BJ66OkR1ZUZmitIdp_ZP2zNEIiPVek2GwpVU9UtKTzwvWcjR60u_kBHDA1OwmGNil6Hy7gYDzCzlE=w1135-h752-no

Bob- I like the idea of salsa. That's perfect!

Anne- I was thinking soups too. Any specific recipes? I guess they would be good in just about anything though.

Everyone - thanks for the responses!

I would consider making a batch of Tomato-Basil soup. You can also take those tomatoes and make a Tomato Pie.

Basically, you slice what you have, salt them a bit to make them weep, and let them sit out for an hour or so. Dry them off with paper towel. Then you will put them in a prepared pie shell, mix together Mayonnaise, a little salt and pepper, sliced green onions, basil, and Parmesan Cheese, spread over the top, and bake. The pie will be well worth your efforts. If interested, I can provide quantities. It is so good. Jim

OOOOOH.... Now we're talkin. I'm liking the sound of that Jim. And looks to be all ingredients I have already at the house.

Ratatouille?

I think they would do well in anything that takes a cooked tomato (soup, pasta sauces, basque chicken, chili con carne, etc etc)
As for soup, a while ago I did a tomato, lamb, lentil soup with left over lamb. Smoked tomato would be great in there

I don't make salsa anymore without grilling or smoking everything except the cilantro. Good for your haul.

Back