Weber silver c restoration

SJHill

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums here but have been a lurker for a long time. I've gained a lot of knowledge from reading this site and this forum. I have a Weber performer and a WSM but I recently got a silver c off of Craigslist.

It's in amazing shape you can tell it's been under a cover for most of its life. There is only a little wear and tear on the outside. I have ordered all new inside parts from Webber and rcplanebuyer to have the inside good as new. I was looking for a way to clean up the outside

I used some degreaser but that didn't seem to take away the stuff. What is a better product to get the outside of the box cleaned? also a little bit of rust is beginning to show in the bottom shelf. Is there a way to stop that from spreading?

http://imgur.com/a/2YwqI

Last edited:
Use 0000 steel wool and any type of cleaner(Simple Green, 409) to clean the porcelain lid.

I use Simply Green or 409 (prefer Simply Green) for cleaning the outside of Genesis. A wire brush and Rustoleum paint will work for rusty spots. I have "restored" parts of mine over the years. I realized that while I was typing my post, Pat posted the same suggestions. I also have used steel wool on rust.

Last edited:
I use Simply Green or 409 (prefer Simply Green) for cleaning the outside of Genesis. A wire brush and Rustoleum paint will work for rusty spots. I have "restored" parts of mine over the year. I realized that while I was tying my post, Pat posted the same suggestions. I also have used steel wool on rust.

Hilary is a plagiarist...........JK. Funny, exact same thing happened to me the other day on this forum.

Last edited:
What's the best way to stop the bottom storage compartment from continuing to rust? There are a few small rust holes in it now.

What's the best way to stop the bottom storage compartment from continuing to rust? There are a few small rust holes in it now.

Rough the area up, then it it with Rustoleum Rust converter or Rust Reformer. There are other similar products that are effective as well.

Depending on how far you want to go with the bottom panel, I've used some thin sheet metal and JB Weld to patch these up before. Surface prep is really important for it to hold and it's not always the most attractive fix, but with the cabinet doors on yours you won't have to look at it.

Back