Competition Cooks

Mike Kansas

What is the preferred cut of ribs smoked in competitions? Also, Do they prefer Glaze or Dry rub ribs? Any info would be much appreciated as I am all over different websites and getting the same amount of different answers.

Hi Mike,

I'll take a stab at it, from the KCBS side...

We judges are to have no preferences. We are to judge only what is in the box. I have seen spareribs, baby backs and a combination of spares and baby backs. Anything goes, as long as it follows the KCBS rules and regulations.

You can do what ever you want taste wise, appearance wise... as long as rib has at least one bone and there are at least 6 individual servings, if you will. Most cooks will present their ribs such that they appear wet, ie moist. During the judging for appearance phase, that look 'suggests' a moist product vs a dry one. A whole bunch of different methods can be used, like spraying apple juice or hot water on the ribs just before closing up the box. All up to the cook.

When is your next competition ? If I can suggest... before competing, stop by a competition as a guest / general public. Get to know some of the teams. You might even see if a team will take you on for your initial 'learning'. I believe you will find most teams to be more than helpful towards fellow teams, especially new teams !!!

Bob

Bob is right there are many different ways you can do your competition ribs but I'd say the highest percentage of people, especially around Kansas, are going to be turning in a St. Louis style rib that has been glazed with a sweet BBQ sauce.

Mike, my better half, Alexa, and I have been competing since 2006 and the most honest answer I can give you is that you're only going to know what works by trying different things. That having been said, your first and most important skill to master is cooking the meat to the proper texture/tenderness. Many different flavor profiles will work but you really need to nail the texture in order to get good scores. Also, remember that people eat with their eyes so, regardless of sanctioning body, do your best to make the meat look as attractive and appetizing as possible. That, too, will help boost your scores.

Mike
As a CBJ for KCBS here in Europe, I can tell you Ive never seen dry ribs. Always sauced.
I suggest you to become CBJ in order to understand what appearance, taste and tenderness means.

Hi Mike,

I'll take a stab at it, from the KCBS side...

We judges are to have no preferences. We are to judge only what is in the box. I have seen spareribs, baby backs and a combination of spares and baby backs. Anything goes, as long as it follows the KCBS rules and regulations.

You can do what ever you want taste wise, appearance wise... as long as rib has at least one bone and there are at least 6 individual servings, if you will. Most cooks will present their ribs such that they appear wet, ie moist. During the judging for appearance phase, that look 'suggests' a moist product vs a dry one. A whole bunch of different methods can be used, like spraying apple juice or hot water on the ribs just before closing up the box. All up to the cook.

When is your next competition ? If I can suggest... before competing, stop by a competition as a guest / general public. Get to know some of the teams. You might even see if a team will take you on for your initial 'learning'. I believe you will find most teams to be more than helpful towards fellow teams, especially new teams !!!

Bob

This is the perfect answer.

Back