2016 Del Mar Championship Report

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
I thought I'd share my visit to the 2016 Del Mar BBQ Championship yesterday.

I'm one that hates crowds and waiting in line, so I got to the Del Mar Fairgrounds/Race Track early, about 1 hour before the VIP gate opened.

Being that early, I just walked right in and had a chance to just stroll about the pits minding my own business and not disturb the teams - sure smelled good!

The info on the Del Mar website said that those with prepaid VIP passes would be let in at noon before the general public was allowed in, but I couldn't find any 'official' for how the check in was supposed to work or how to get our tasting 'tokens', so I hung out around the main gate and helped fold the sample boxes.

About 15 minutes before noon the lines started to form at the VIP gate so it was time to queue up as I saw a contingent of Fair KCBS reps show up to man the check in tables.

The check in started on time at noon but went kinda slow at first as we were all checked in by name on a list at the gate.

Then we were checked again at the VIP tables and everyone was asked to show ID before being given 4 tokens. Additional tokens could be bought as well, so I decided to buy some more - a bit steep price, in my opinion - 4 add'l tokens for $10.

With my sample box and tokens I set out to get some of the bbq from teams participating in public samples. Not all teams were selling samples (using tokens as the currency - no cash or credit was allowed except for the public vendors of beer and other concessions).

I had some excellent samples of pulled pork, rib tips, pork ribs, brisket slices and burnt ends. All VIPs were also given a ballot to turn in for the People's Choice award. If the pit master was available, I tried to politely chat them up regarding their method. Most were very eager to talk about the bbq, but when pressed for specifics, I got the eye wink and 'that's a secret'. It was all good and I had many a laugh with several of the pit masters.

I made a list of the different teams I saw there - if I missed a team, my apologies:
* 7 Sins BBQ
* Cali Comfort BBQ
* Dad's Chilling and Grillin'
* Oakridge BBQ
* Pork Belly BBQ
* Smokin' Mo's
* Live 2 Q
* BBQ Island Inc
* The Pit Crew BBQ
* Smokin' Money BBQ
* Big Red BBQ
* Low and Slow Cali BBQ
* Pirate BBQ Hibs and Crew
* Mossy Rock BBQ
* Blue Eyed BBQ
* Rub Your Meat BBQ
* Ribenator Rub Co
* Come and Take it BBQ
* Valley Farmers Market
* Green Mountain Grills
* Rad Fondo BBQ

The cost of the VIP ticket was WELL worth the money to get in early because around 1pm the general public was allowed in and the lines got CRAZY long at each of the pits selling public tastes.

About that time, I decided to track down Mike Morrill of Rad Fondo, who posted here on the forum an invitation to stop by his pit.

I found his tents, introduced myself from the TVWBB forum and got an instant warm welcome to come on in!

Mike allowed me to ask questions, and I was offered a variety of his bbq - from pulled pork, to ribs, to brisket slices and burnt ends. OMG - so good!

I was graciously allowed to watch as they unwrapped their brisket entry to be sliced, prepped and boxed. I kept quiet and just observed. A great opportunity to see first hand how an entry box is prepped and turned in.

Harry Soo was there also, and I stopped to introduce myself and to chat him up on some bbq topics, esp in regards to what local judges are looking for in So Cal and what types of wood he uses. Harry was great - patient, clear, and willing to share his opinions and experience. I'm definitely going to try to go to one of his classes.

Completely stuffed of bbq I had to get something to drink, so I opted for one of the draft beers on tap at the concessions. I got a Lizard's Mouth Imperial IPA to quench the sweet, spice, smoke, and juices from all the bbq samples - and it hit the spot! But DANG the price was steep at $10.

About that time I had to hit the road - good thing as well cuz the lines were just too long.

I posted up some pictures if you'd like to take a look:
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/bbq/Del-Mar-BBQ-2016-Championship/

I'd like to thank Mike, his wife, and to Scott for their hospitality to a complete 'stranger' - that was really cool, and I learned ALOT.

Last edited:
Excellent report Erik !

Only 11 days until Vista !

Thanks, Bob.

I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to connect up yesterday.

I was hanging out behind the judges podium before the gates opened and was 'eavesdropping' on some of the judging announcements - kinda glad I wasn't judging as it sounds complicated, but still salivating at the thought of sampling all that great bbq.

The Vista BBQ event is a maybe at this point, but I'm hoping to be there as it's just 15 minutes away.

I may even get the nerve up to compete next year...:confused:

So, if you ever wanted to experience a BBQ event and comp then just read Eric's report and do what he did. Sometimes (well, always) it is stressful around turn in's. Erik hung out nearby and out of the way but still got to see how it goes. Almost all teams will be friendly and accommodating except around turn ins. Polite and friendly works every time. Nice meeting you Erik.

Looks like there was a great turn out!! I wanted to go but had to work

John,
Like I said - I am soooo glad I popped for the VIP early entry pass

This was a line to just ONE of the pits - the lines were pretty much all like this after 1pm
Lines.jpg

It looks like you only toured the area were the vending teams were located. Twenty-six more teams, including ours, were in another lot located a bit west of where you were.

Back