Curing Question

Dan McDonald

Quick question for the Charcuterie Brain Trust.

I'm on my second attempt at making bacon. First time turned out pretty good. When I cured the first time I used a glass pyrex dish that had a lid that sealed up. On that attempt, there was alot of juice that came out of the pork belly and I could really tell how it firmed up.

My second attempt, I'm into day 3 of the curing process and there isn't nearly as much juice. It seems to be firming up some, but not as much a first attempt. I used about 1 tsp of prague powder #1 on each belly. Along with some kosher salt, brown sugar, and some black pepper. Each belly was about 3.5-4 lbs. Not sure if it makes a difference, but since I am doing 3 bellies this time, I used freezer bag to store each belly instead of pyrex dish.

Should I be concerned about the lack of juice coming from the bellies? Did I go too light on the Prague Powder? If so, can I add more to it at this point?

Thanks

Some pieces of meat leak more then others, so, it depends. 1 tsp of cure sounds a little high.
I cure in zip lock bags mostly, the last full belly was in a plastic wrap covered low pan.

Back