Today at Costco

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Located in south StL county.
prime brisket packers have gone up to $3.69/lb from $2.69?
pork belly was $2.99/lb
The only meat I bought was loin back pork ribs at $2.99/lb

They had Stubb's lump charcoal at $18.99 for a 34 lb bag, didn't buy any, product of Mexico, and fear it's the same as Cowboy lump, which I don't care for. The bags looked a little shop worn too.
Did buy another twin of K pro comp for $4.30 off.

Oh, and gasoline was $1.72, most area stations are up to 2 bucks or more as of today.

edit to add,
they also had Prime grade filet mignon at $22.99/lb, looked super, but no way!

Last edited:
Barb and I noticed that all meat is going up around here. I thought I read that cattle production was way up and prices would be dropping, not here anyway. The only thing that hasn't really gone up is chicken, we can still get Sanderson's Farms for under a buck a pound. That's why when we do find really good sales we stock up.
Of course there is always the 9am dump into the dog food section of the meat dept. where many a treasure has been found.

Gas here at Costco $2.15

Last edited:
liz just bought belly at Costco for 2.69 per lb. .... was $2.89 two weeks ago

07132016.jpg

My Costco bumped the price for prime packers from 2.99 to 3.49 (as of the weekend before the 4th). I think the pork belly was still 2.69.

liz just bought belly at Costco for 2.69 per lb. .... was $2.89 two weeks ago

07132016.jpg

That beats $5.99 at my nearby Whole Foods. Costco here doesn't carry 'em, otherwise I'd be a member by now. I need to start scoping out the local Asian markets. I think we have 3 or 4 within 5 miles.

Last edited:
My prime brisket from COSTCO on July 3rd was 3.69 a pound. Even though we have more cows than people in Montana we rarely get decent beef prices, as compared to others states I've seen or heard about. A friend of mine tried to explain to me how regional meat prices work but I was quickly disinterested and just nodded...

Smart and final here in ca still has decent prices. Asian mexican store has a lot of meat varieties still at decent prices. Beef is nuts and I pretty much gave up on that.

George, the Smart and Final briskets are either select or choice. The Costco is USDA Prime. For the small difference I will use the Costco brisket packer. Just did my first on on July 3 and it was great. The price difference was minimal compared to the quality difference.

Smart and final here in ca still has decent prices. Asian mexican store has a lot of meat varieties still at decent prices. Beef is nuts and I pretty much gave up on that.

Wow! I wish the Costco's out here sold PB's. I would love to make some more bacon

Chuck, if your Costco has the pre sliced PBs or large packages of sliced bacon they have PBs because at least here they slice their own bacon so they have to have whole ones to do that. Ask the meat department manager to hold one for you. Worth a try.

Wish my COSTCO had a packer at any price. They just don't carry them.
One of the Costcos here in San Jose just started carrying Prime brisket...but at the WRONG PRICE!

They're selling "USDA Prime Brisket Trimmed" for $9.49/lb! They had trimmed brisket flats and trimmed whole briskets (they removed the large areas of fat around the point) in a glass display case with a "butcher" behind the case. I asked if the whole brisket sold for less than the flat, and he said no. Next time I'll ask the meat dept manager about pricing a whole prime brisket in Cryovac.

I ended up buying a USDA Choice brisket flat in Cryovac for $5.45/lb. :(

We have 3 Costco stores, gas prices are currently 1.78, 1.85, and 2.01.
Around here the price often varies by the area, but wouldn't you think that if a twin pack of bbq sauce is the same at each, then gas would be too?
I only shop one, so no clue if meat and other perishable food prices vary from store to store.

@ Chris
"They're selling "USDA Prime Brisket Trimmed" for $9.49/lb!"

OUCH!

Yippee! Finally found USDA Prime packer briskets at Costco here in San Jose for $3.55/lb. Bought a 14 pounder, can't wait to smoke it!

The Costco locations I frequent here in Phoenix have been carrying prime grade briskets for some time now, mostly in the 12-14 lb. range and usually from Excel, IBP or Swift. I've seen them as low as $2.99/lb. and as high as $3.69/lb. They're not what I would classify as "high prime" but I've enjoyed them when cooking at home.

Sept. 8, 2016 St Louis Costco meat prices per pound:
Prime ribeye steaks $20
Prime ribeye cap steaks $18
Choice ribeye steaks $8
Pork belly $2.75
83/17 ground beef $3
Prime packer briskets $3 (they had 35 of them out)

-eH2BCxQvLUxtrq0EVTFORSKkKRVeVw8d1C6jpj30CL9-3CoPiWqYZdJoFl5ryq9P2gnNjZhV6L6bhKYPKZXDjQXk2DLy2Qm9wsH3eQr7fy1TkmHTfm8K1NG3NJ1M6hiM3qIerQXqWlKJJ4z6yeH-dfF1iRsd10dJYmvG54k-QpvALeWGw_9Q2C6cpJaQ9SJoP4KA0aFjdAKbUtPuI0jU2QQEDj2U7H1XzkPybNQb8smPmdh8Wzycpg9h6JRDY9ocNNdWhS6-Ljr5bivj0F02wPfPQXdn3oW_FNRZ2qZC5_lDgefIDNq_707L9D0EbmkGVXavYa96xzPLKw8IO7weW1L0Lfm0gY9_jbr8RgmPqIf6ufW6g9xP8EB_Wts6q8oaParesdUH_Ung0j4JkZLFkp-9kMhwLjQK98U6WZhTvFojbDBx4poMZB_k06TkmGYvOF5XgWE46V-aJpwkzOHU9qiWbroXVQOvdTXXTvbgkx-fmtrrnuK1eZFy4WG5Z9SJ5tpJ4lKvw63zJfnJSOT4FxhPjRO1CY3Tz2s_YZeFIufaF18ULDhZd6Qxp0jQyuX3VX-WUJKU9jqTOoFbVvvBYgDEPKraqu_gKnfd5XQY4jcMN-BcA=w1116-h752-no

Last edited:
planning to visit them this weekend for at least one prime brisket.
heard the price here last week was 3.29lb
still a steal for prime.

2 days ago... prime packers were $2.88# iirc.
No more pork belly, though. Asked & was told they didn't sell that well.
This was at the San Marcos, CA store.

2 days ago... prime packers were $2.88# iirc.
No more pork belly, though. Asked & was told they didn't sell that well.
This was at the San Marcos, CA store.
I've been surprised that pork bellies have stayed available here and at other Costco stores.
I'm still on the lookout for tomahawk steaks, Costco or otherwise.

Back