Genesis Platinum Series II Restoration started

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
The time has come to start the restoration of my 1996 Genesis Platinum Series II. I have my 4900 to keep me cooking so I have plenty of time to finish the job.
It started life as this:

7ltUDrr.jpg

In about 40 minutes I had it down to this-

nCpE1cm.jpg

It came apart pretty easily as the Oversized Summit series frame used on the Platinum II is a much nicer setup than the Genesis frame with the interior bolt holder that always seem to turn to rust powder as the years progress. The Summit frame has welded tabs to the square stock that are threaded for 1/4" 20 bolts.

The only rust issue on the entire grill was the left side frame support that connect to the firebox:

dumXDbU.jpg

fx9E3EP.jpg

I ordered the replacement with several other items ereplacementparts.com as I wanted to see exactly what shade of black Weber used for the Frame.
I am super anal about these things so working in an Auto parts store I had access to many paints to chose from and I purchased several and painted the smaller pieces to compare them to the factory support brace color. The Frame colors are on the left of the pic.
TnwTL0T.jpg

The frame is in great condition so I sanded down some light surface rust by the weld joints, shot it with VHT Rust Convertor, sanded with 320 grit, then hit the spots with Etching Primer, lighted sanded with 400 grit, and then used Wax and Grease remover to cleanup. If it ever stop raining here in Mass I will apply several light coats of black paint to the frame.

ePm5THe.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
I first started on the firebox and actually wanted to get it Soda blasted but after numerous failed attempts to get with the 'blaster I just pressure washed it inside and out.

Since it is a full-blown resto I wanted to replace every bolt, nut, and screw so I started with the grease tray rail screws. They were corroded but using a 1/4" ratchet and socket all four came right out.
I figured I'd press my luck and see if the burner tube retaining screws would move. I know everyone says "leave them be!, they are only line up screws" but no better time then the present so after soaking them in PB Blaster I gave it a shot.
One came right out! The other one would not budge. So I brought the box to my good friend at an Auto repair shop and with a little heat the last Firebox screw was now out. Sweet!
I purchased stainless #10 screws so I'll be all set for the next restore in 2036 :D

MNyv6Fi.jpg

P7UFHxw.jpg

Finished Firebox with three coats of heat paint:
Y3t88UW.jpg

Last edited:
These restorations are a lot of work, but the end result makes it so much worth it, especially after grilling it up for the family. I can't wait to see end result.

Looking very good. Use a tiny dab of never seize on anything bolted into or through the aluminum fire box. Trust me you won't be sorry. You might think about the copper type used on O2 sensors. Can take the high heat of a cherry red cast iron exhaust manifold. I use the silver type though with no issues

Been working on the side shelf between projects, this has proven to be the hardest part yet as the factory powder coated paint that is left is proving to be near impossible to remove. I tried my home sandblaster but it was more of a headache and a slow process. I found the best way was to soak the paint with brake fluid for 1/2 an hour then use a single edge razor to scrape the paint off.
This is how it looks after an afternoon of scraping:

fy8qa6z.jpg

Wanted to say one thing...Weber definitely does not build 'em like they use to!
The shelf is made of cast aluminum and quite robust especially compared to the Weber S-310 I seen last night at Lowes where I could bend the thin stainless shelf with very little force.
The item in the center of the shelf is a stainless steel towel bar.

After cleaning up all the paint I coated the aluminum with a cleaner (don't get that stuff in cuts, ouch!), and shot the shelf with several light coats of self-etching primer.

QNHTISk.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Speaking of Stainless Steel... here is all the hardware I have ready to assemble the grill.

xQ7TvuW.jpg

as well as some new Wheels and Casters to "ride in style" as well as new handle bolts and control panel plugs & screws.

gnpGDfy.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Yeah I have one of those side shelves like that but it's designed to hold a side burner. Got it from a parts grill I bought up in Madison WI. I'm hoping to one day adapt it to my Wolf grill. I had some parts a while back sandblasted at a commercial metal finishing place. Great job and cost me like $10. I think I'll bring that piece and some others also

Had some free time tonite to put the newly painted frame together. Eight 1/4" x 20 stainless bolts and washers made the magic happen.
Luckily I had a "helper" to make the job that much easier, just had to have a duel after we were finished ;)

jVhe1t1.jpg

mfOAodV.jpg

Totally lucked out on this find-
I spotted this on e-bay on the past auctions and it didn't meet reserve so I contacted the seller in Maine and we agreed on a price that worked for both of us.

DwzSx4t.jpg

A brand new in the box, never used, #7601 side burner for a Platinum II. Did I need it? Not really, but I'll probably never find one in the future for a 19 year old grill.

bHNTsak.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Spent some time on the lid scraping away 20 years worth of grease with a single edge razor blade, steel wool, and Simple Green.I figured I'd get out my Flex buffer and some Meguiars Ultimate Compound to really make it gleam.Look at that reflection-

4Amfqa1.jpg

Next I went to work on attaching the new Bottom Tray Rails. Weber got smart on the replacements making them out of aluminum instead of corrosive steel.
A couple of screws weren't getting quite the "bite" into the fire box threads and were a bit loose so I cleaned out the holes and used some Quick Steel and used a #10 tap to make some new threads.

2i9HJIq.jpg

New Stainless screws and washers for the burner tube line-up holes.

1MQKT5K.jpg

Top view with the firebox installed. Even the Manifold got painted as well.

YrG0ggm.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Nice progress! My lid became the same after several hours, wonderful. It was not much more than a year ago. You don't want to see it now... :( Unfortunately it's neither easy nor cheap to get the parts here so the burner tubes weren't changed. However she works like charm. Good luck for the rest and especially for cooking!

An update:
I was assembling the side shelf bracket after painting it and notice the factory weld was looking a little "weak" so I brought it to my co-worker who re-welded it. Much nicer and bullet proof this way.

xhCrLLe.jpg

Updated the older Quick-release from this:

z6kdkyh.jpg

To this:

IunZTL4.jpg

Underside shot:

9TIurdz.jpg

Opted for the newer Weber tank gauge along with a new Propane tank:

Stainless retaining bolts for the end caps:

fJqYScv.jpg

UZarEQh.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
I have two sets of grates with the grill, the original porcelain coated units which I can use with the smoker box.

WOxCbmy.jpg

and the rcplanebuyer 3/8" Stainless steel rod models. These are extremely heavy and well built, I can't say enough good things about these. I've purchased his flavorizer bars in the past and might due the same down the road but for now mine will do.

wP8qv26.jpg

A little paint and some sandpaper go a long way...

sOVfTNg.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
It's been a long time coming but here are the finished pics.

Starting point:

7ltUDrr.jpg

Restored:

913Jx7w.jpg

PoWjWEU.jpg

VlpgvHI.jpg

Ip6riL4.jpg

It's been a fun restore and I've learned a lot about these older model Genesis grills. Weber overbuilt these grills and made them for the long-run and I would like to Thank them for the support they give, both in keeping the parts available to keep these fine grills going as well as the customer service when you call with questions. Most manufactures would try to push their newest and latest products onto you so it's nice to take a "step back" when things were still made in the good 'Ole USA and people fixed what they had rather than throw it away.

Jeff

Last edited:

Back