Another coca cola sauce variation

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Had a family reunion over the week end and I volunteered ribs. As the party was a noon event and 2 hr away, I didn't enjoy the thought of setting up a smoke at 4 a.m.

I did slow cooker spares :mad: I know, it's sacrilege but hey, I was being selfish and wanted my sleep ;)

Anyways, never having done s.c. ribs, I wasn't quite sure how they would turn out. I hunted and hunted for a recipe and basically just settled for 6 lb of spares in a slow cooker for (the recipe said) 8 -10 hr.

Well, needless to say they were fall apart (and wayyy over done). I had to use a spatula and gently try to flip them over on the grill to crisp them up, all the while brushing some sauce on them to carmelize. You know how the bone pulls out of a butt when it's ready? Well, the rib bones were falling out without having to touch them :(

Well, that recipe called for a sauce that seemed prettty good (going by the positive comments although I usually take them with a grain of salt), I'd try it. I normally like dry ribs but among family I think I'm in the minority (they like 'em sauced).

Well then, sauced it will be.

For 6 lb spares I trimmed the spares within an inch of their lives (ie very little fat remained), cut into 1 rib portions and layered them in the crock pot: Added about 1C of cola to them and set it on low.

The SAUCE:

1 1/2 cup ketchup
3/8 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic ( I use a "high octane" gran garlic version so you may want to up it)
1 1/2 cup Coca-Cola (could use Dr Pepper but coke isn't as sweet IMO; remember, you're adding brown sugar too)
3/8 cup brown sugar, (semi-packed in the cup)
1/2t to 3/4t cayenne powder
1T molasses

Instructions:

Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan over medium to low heat.
Allow to boil (stirring every minute or so) for at least10 minutes until reduced and thickened to your liking.

Remove from heat and pour into cleaned jars and store in the refrigerator for several months or use immediately.

I made this the night before (makes about 2 cups of sauce depending on how much you reduce it). When I first tasted it, it was quite "ketchupy" but I figured with an overnight mellowing it would be ok.

Well, it saved the ribs. They were devoured and people were asking "are there no more?".

We are always critical of our own cooks (should've done this, might have done that, they were over/under done, etc) but man, this sauce is great.

I haven't changed my mind about dry vs wet ribs but I'll keep this one on hand.

Last edited:
I usually doctor up store bought sauces with some Coke so I'll try yours next.
My Measuring cups/ spoons don't do 3/8, so I figure that's equivalent to a 1/3?

Tim

Recipe was designed for 4 lb so 1/4 was the starting point. I doubt very much 3/8 makes any difference. Use 1/2. You can always up the others a bit to compensate. Be daring :) :):) More is better than too little.

16 T in a cup so you could adjust from there; 4T in a quarter cup. so 6T in 3/8 of a cup. More or less won't matter that much. Dry vs wet is always an issue but again, more or less works just fine.

Last edited:

Back