Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans

Andrew F

TVWBB Super Fan
This is my take on "Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans." You can google the original recipe if you want. He has different peppers ( and more of them) in his. I think that many peppers take over the dish.
For a LARGE crowd.

8-10 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
½ Medium onion, diced
1 - 2 Chipotles in adobo – seeded.
1 - 55 ounce can Bush’s Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of crushed pineapple, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
½ Tbs. dry (ground) mustard
1-2 Tbs. Texas Pit style BBQ sauce

For a sane number of people

5 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
¼ - ½ Medium onion, diced
½ - 1 Chipotle in adobo – seeded.
1 – 28oz (or 2 12oz) ounce can Bush’s Beans
½ 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple, drained
½ Cup Brown Sugar, packed
½ Cup ketchup
¼ Tbs. dry (ground) mustard
½ -1 Tbs. Texas Pit style BBQ sauce

Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Sauté onion and Chipotles until tender in the left over bacon fat.

In whatever you will be cooking them in (I use a 5 qt. stainless pot) combine everything, including the bacon and onion / chipotle mix. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 – 3+ hours or more, make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 165° for food safety. I cook mine under whatever meat I’m smoking – except for chicken. Add ketchup if they get too dry. Or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour. If baking, you might want to add some liquid smoke.
Finish with a BBQ sauce

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

For those of you who plan on putting your LARGE crowd beans in a dutch oven (minus the lid) and then into the smoker; a single batch will fill a 10 inch regular dutch oven (4 quart) almost to the top. A batch will fill a 10 inch deep dutch oven (5 quart) with room enough for stirring without worrying about losing beans over the sides.

Back