A great potato salad recipe

Tom Brenholts

My sister and I developed this, back and forth through emails and phone calls, until we could both make it consistently. It isn't overly portion-sensitive, you can use more or less of just about anything but the potatoes, but this is what the two of us decided tastes best. It isn't a creamy white potato salad, it is more of a German style, but it is great warm the same day or cold the next day.

3lbs redskin potatoes, quartered and boiled until soft (You can use fingerlings, Yukons, baby, anything but baking potatoes)
4 stalks celery, thinly chopped
2 bunches of scallions, cleaned and chopped except for the dark green ends (about halfway up)
a handful of parsley, chopped
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped. I made 3, but one fell off the table and the dog got it. 2 is fine. But 3 would also work.
salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 T of each, sea salt and cracked black peppercorns)
about 2/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
about 2/3 cup olive oil

optional: a couple slices of cooked bacon, crumbled

You know what to do. Mix everything up, give it an hour or three to meld the flavors. I cut some of the potatoes and mash some, it gives it an interesting texture that way.

Enjoy!

No, Bob. I chop or mash them, and they cool down somewhat as I do that. I like the first serving of this to be on the warm side, and subsequent servings as leftovers cold.

But it's really adaptable, and you could chill them and then make it. The white balsamic and olive oil, along with the salt, pepper, and scallions, accounts for most of the flavor. The celery and parsley account for the texture, the potatoes give it body and the eggs add color. Everything works together pretty marvelously, actually. We're kind of proud of it.

Thanks!
I know with the mayo type it's best to cool them first.
My wife likes German style better than any other, so I'll try it soon.

I'd like to try this also, but don't have any white balsamic vinegar in the cupboard. (actually never heard about it until now):cool:
Do you have any brands you would recommend?

Tim

Don't go with a too cheap b.v. Tim. It will be a " main player" in this recipe and you want to enjoy it.

Be sure not to use a dark version. They are pretty much the same flavour BUT the dark will turn everything dark whereas the white , well the colour of the spuds won't be affected.

Last edited:
The brand we use is Colavita, but that is because it is the only brand our grocery carries. White balsamic is nice and clean. Cathy was the one who started the white balsamic, good choice I think.

Thank you for the recipe. I always forget about white balsamic vinegar. I must try it in your recipe.

I make a similar potato salad and also like celery in it, but occasionally find that my potato salad has gotten a little watery after standing a while or overnight. The culprit was the celery, so now, when I make the salad, the first thing I do is salt the diced celery pretty well and put it into a strainer to drain while I'm preparing the rest of the salad. Most of the salt drains off. Then I roll it in paper towels to dry it well just before adding it to salad.

Last edited:
I think this doesn't get that way because I mash about half the potatoes, and they soak up any excess moisture. But I like that idea of salting the celery, I'll try it and see what happens!

This is what it looks like finished. I used "new" potatoes, skin on, 3 eggs, and the bacon.

image_zps7giamak5.jpeg

NJjmTuGyD_YoE9ACBsfwa8hZ-EIXkvya4HgX-eSnp-dHYo5xQnim8cKGxHgQSBz2acV20lgc51Z1BfmiJrWYpRN3Gaf7DDaBhDuMsSPVy_EEnqxyW8ukxeWyZQTRlZPaptvB9V6ZdZpO3eFlK54aCZFH0lCi20vK4EJE40b12kecA6RIfNR2EiCtxsH976kpUulhu8PB5MwwCkSkwvRidyVw0whh4j98u2xT8mBDXVGlLL0E639CVYNDEb4vA_yByMozSWbgc1D8cvFd4_0I9UImfU-O7PuC5JOFp_BZZM945Ud8ZBIkKv_t7wvfML0TBHvtlgvIZcj3kr_rEhdpf585_rgLX8sA-rtE7wjdut_N-S883w2ZgK0K78kg9hhNZTnFcPaie0EMqBRkTdynCaE3JYtzG5PLVKp0ZDlfP-HF9dgZrlISAhTIK1LzonhqzjsLedn2XnTII1MVz5NGF4qQ8jWCvvcOSqVNnirbzvRcZ437gLPXY7T6e7vTCVi4NThGhc0r8Bb1OoxPlByXtwhj2uJYgoN0_Y0X4fXatYsOcoymFznR9HbSGRk06oOCU-aXOPT6GhWnrwUZvpHX85KziC2fjjA=w1766-h994-no

Yours looks great Tom. I used large reds and quartered them. I like the flavor so far.:)

Tim

Both look really good!

I'm pretty sure one added ingredient for us will be a touch of sugar.
Here in the St Louis area we're use to a sweet/sour taste due to the German influence on our food.
Try fresh chopped tomatoes with a little oil, onions, and a 50/50 mix of sugar and vinegar and see what you think. :)

Yep Bob, my German/Lithuanian roots kept telling me to add some sugar but I resisted at first. The Colavita EVOO & WBV gave it a nice fruity taste when first mixed, but later on I added a few pinches of sugar to taste.
I think it will play well with some Chicken Spiedie and Elotes I'm makin.:)
Tim

Mrs. B just can't get enough Caprese tomatoes, and as you know that dark balsamic vinegar is about half sugar! I've made tomatoes and onions with cucumber and Italian dressing, I'll try it the way you suggest. My hanging cherry tomato plant is just starting to bear fruit.

And as far as German goes, well, about 150 years ago it was Brenhöltz!

Last edited:
My wife's maiden name is Wohlschlaeger.

When I was a kid, we had neighbors in Raleigh, NC with that last name. That was in 1967-68...the husband's name was Bernie, I think his wife's name was Debbie and they had a son named Walter (about 4 years old at the time). Maybe a relative?!?

For a added taste,pull the spuds a minute or 2 before you normally would and rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking,put into a smoker for 15-20 minutes with heavy smoke,pull and put into the freezer for 15 minutes ,when cooled off make as usual

Back