Grillstock 2016

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
I'm heading to Grillstock 2016 tomorrow. It's about an 8.5 hr drive, but it should be a fun weekend.

TVWBB member, Chirs Arnold, is competing with his Bullet Brothers BBQ team. I'll take loads of photos.

Click on the link, looks like great fun and BBQ. I love to see this form of cooking being embraced across the globe!!!!!

Have a great time and wish Chirs good luck!

Tony

wow what a busy weekend - did you stop by and say hi? (apologies if i missed you - SO many new social media friends to keep up with!!!)
it was a total blast - fantastic weather and more beer, bourbon and rum than you can imagine

We had 5 turn ins on Saturday - Chefs Choice (anything goes) - Pork Shoulder - Burger - Mystery Meat - Brisket.
We had an absolute disaster with our Chefs Choice - something that had been cooked a dozen times at home - totally failed almost to the point of not turning it in!
Pork went well - but didn't score great - need to find out why
Burger we finished 8th (of 29 teams) - our best placing
Mystery Meat was a tomahawk rib eye steak - we rubbed ours with Meatchurch Holy Cow and reverse seared - it was AMAZING - but the category was won by someone who battered and deep fried theirs!
Brisket turned out great too - but our burnt ends weren't quite right (shouldn't have turned them in)

3 turn ins Sunday - Chicken, Wings and Ribs
I turned in cup cake shaped deboned chicken thighs - they weren't cooked in the pans. I was happy - judges didn't agree!
Our wings were great - fantastic colour and a sauce that had just the right amount of heat
Ribs were awful - unfamiliar supplier and just turned out wrong

final placing was well in the bottom half - but then not everyone can win!

Hope you made it - and if you have any pics, we'd love to see them....

Chris

Last edited:
Good showing in the burger Category. With what you learn this year, go back and beat them next year!!

Garvin

Hi Chris.

Yep, I did stop by & say hello but you guys were very busy. I was sitting just in front of the judges for the Chef's Choice, & down at the front at the main stage for the prize giving on the Sunday. Too bad The Bullet Bros didn't get a mention. :(

Here's one of the photos I took. (Got plenty more).
344aw5h.jpg

The Bullet Bros.
2u6mofs.jpg

The chillie eating competition was superb……& funny!

View of the festival site from our hotel. A 3 minute stumble on our way back. The small white tents were where some of the Q teams were. The bigger white tent was one of the bars……yay!!
25qt3sl.jpg

Getting the tomahawks ready.
3451l6p.jpg

Roll up, roll up! Get yer protein here!
rlf4uq.jpg

This guy had a good view of proceedings.
2yzio9f.jpg

The main act on Sunday night.
rv93ci.jpg

Really gutted that they didn't repeat last year's Grillstock at Walthamstow.

It is a brilliant format with Meat, Music and Mayhem.

My wife, friends and I loved it. Best event in the area as far as I can remember. I can only assume they made a financial loss but I guarantee they would have had more people attend this year, purely through word of mouth.

Bristol Harbourside is a great location and I seriously considered spending the weekend at Grillstock which coincided with our 20th wedding anniversary.

Went to San Sebastian instead which was fantastic but somewhat different.

Well done Tony for taking part. I reckon I will be there next year!

Yeah, the Habourside is a great venue. Lots of good bars close by. We had brilliant weather too. I will definitely go again next year, (I'm on the Grillstock mailing list).

Congrats on your 20th.

Last edited:
Walthamstow was awesome last year. I think the organisers just over stretched themselves in 2015 - they put on three big festivals (Manchester, Bristol & London) and had a couple of new restaurants opening - it's a lot for two guys to take on. Lets hope there are more on the cards for 2017...

It's a real blast to take part - the teams are like one big family - competing against the judges, rather than against each other. We had 3x 22.5 WSMs, 1x 14.5 WSM and 2x 22.5 Kettles in the game.

The winner in that category was battered and deep dried!
Stupidly I went simple - but cooked it (reverse sear) as best I could (rubbed in MeatChurch Holy Cow)

Back