Q 1200: Do propane level gauges work with this grill?

MaryK

I almost bought a Weber Spirit (?) grill because it has a built-in propane level gauge then came to my senses and figured there must be gauges out there.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a propane level gauge with my brand-new Q 1200?

Any recommendations re a gauge brand?

Thanks,
Mary

Do you plan to use the small cartridges or the 20 lb tanks? If you use the tanks, you can just lift it and have a good idea of the level of propane left in the tank.
If using the little screw in cartridges, you can learn to guesstimate cooking time left by keeping track of how long you have used it. They are so simple to change
that maybe a gage is not really needed. Welcome to TVWBB on your first post Mary!

My table top Kenmore does not like working on the hose and 20 lb tanks without a lot of fiddling to fool the OPD valve.
I've gone back to the little green cans.....but I refill them now and I always have about 10 full ones on hand.
If I run out, it is not for long.
Refilling is so cool that they will probably outlaw it.

So it's not so much the gauge, but will it work on the hose ?

Last edited:
Thanks for welcoming me, Bob!

I'd really like to have a gas gauge because I'm brand-new to propane grills and have no idea how much gas it'll take to grill various foods/quantities of food. I figure a gauge will save a lot of grief in the long run. Guess I'll just see if the Weber folks can help re which gauge to use. Who knows, maybe Weber even sells one.

BTW, I'm going to use a 20-lb tank and have already purchased an adapter.

If you're using a 20lb tank you'll run for years without running out of gas. Just put it on a bathroom scale. Listed on the tank is the "TARE" weight (empty). The closer you get to that weight the closer to empty you are. Those other "gauges" are placebos. They do nothing except tell you AFTER you run out that you ran out. Stop worrying, be happy and grill!

MaryK, welcome, if you are worried about the 20# tank running out, (maybe in a couple of years) buy a few of the small canisters. They will allow you to finish your cook and keep that Q fired up until the 20# tank gets filled again. When you have the time, read through the past posts of the Q forum, you will really learn how to use your grill for both direct and indirect cooks. You will really enjoy using your Q.

Back