Pulled Pork When There's No Time

Cee El

TVWBB Super Fan
On the last night of my work rotation, my partner called in sick. I left that morning prepared to work an extra day, and I stopped at my favorite grocery store to find something to cook for lunch. I decided to make a quick pulled pork. I buy country ribs and smoke them, then finish up in my pressure cooker. The results are always good to me, to the point where I may not buy a whole butt anymore unless it's a special occasion. Ok, on to the pics!

I used the snake, all vents open, with cherry chips that I soaked for as long as it took to prepare the ribs and start the coals. I seasoned the meat with kosher salt, onion powder, and garlic pepper and put them on the Performer. A note on my Performer: I love this grill! I sold my WSM not long after I got it, but I haven't missed it at all. Here I was trying to capture the elusive TBS.

The grill ran between 275 and three hundred until I got the good color that I wanted, then I brought them in. IT was about 175.

Finished! I nibbled a bit!

Here they are crammed into a 5 quart Instant Pot, another thing that I love. I poured about 5 cups of chicken stock in and let it cook under pressure for 20 minutes. Here are the final results!

The whole thing, including prep, took about 4 hours. I was able to get some rest in case I had to work another 12 hour shift, but my boss never called. Oh well, at least I got some good food out of it!

Take care.

Different path to a great result. Nice job. Did the 5 cups of chicken stock evaporate?

No, it stays for the most part and takes on a smokiness from the meat. I'm sure I could separate the fat and use it to moisten the meat, but the meat has never been dry when I do it this way, so I've never used it. Thanks for the comment, btw. I'm a fan of quite a few people here, and I've always enjoyed your rib cooks!

That's a brilliant way to make just the amount you want and without spending long hours babysitting the smoker.

Cee El, my Instant Pot will be here tomorrow. Thanks for posting. I can't wait to experiment with it. Going to cook for the week on Sunday's.

Those look pretty good. We had some pork steaks, homemade sauerkraut and taters for dinner the other night.

Because I have family members (2 of 5 granddaughters mostly) always begging for pulled pork at off times I started smoking an extra butt every time.

I store most of the pork in 1# bags and freeze it. I always have a bag on hand ready to be given away.

I won't smoke another butt until there's only 1 bag left.

Used my IP recently when I found a 2# tri tip from 2014 in the bottom of the freezer to make a killer pepper stout beef recipe. After a quick smoke, cooked in the IP for 35 minutes with a little beef stock, then added my veggies and cooked for another 10 minutes, let it cool down, emptied into a bowl and shredded away. It came out amazingly good for the time involved.

Back