Adding protective plastic to Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center storage shelf

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I recently bought and assembled a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center. Before doing so, I read the comments and saw the photos of how the in/out of the charcoal bin scratches the painted metal surface. Knowing that this would absolutely drive me nuts, I went to TAP Plastics and had them fabricate a piece of black textured ABS plastic to protect the surface.

The piece measures 18-1/2" long x 22-3/4" wide with 1-1/2" squares removed from two corners at one end to accommodate the vertical frame pieces. The plastic is held in place by the flanges sticking up out of the metal surface and the two vertical frame pieces. The plastic extends all the way to the edge of the frame on the front, back, and right side.

Cost was $13 for material, $26 for labor which included cutting to size and routing the edges.

PgaROnl.jpg

gmPoVH6.jpg

gmPoVH6.jpg

6Bb83Pu.jpg

wIWNFKs.jpg

Nice idea Chris.
I went the easy way and put the felt furniture protecters on the bottom of the charcoal bin.

As far as a smoker, the Summit has done a great job so far. I even sold my WSM to a friend. Next I'll be selling the 26.75 kettle.

Still need to do an overniter though, maybe some pork butts.

Last edited:
I want to see just how good of a smoker the Summit Charcoal Grill is compared to the WSM.
good luck.
yes, i only cooked on one for 4 hours, but..... well.

Good Luck.
I am really interested in your comments / comparisons / compliments / and complaints.

Good idea and thx for the pictures. I put my charcoal bin on the deck
And put a see through storage box underneath. Still have the scratching problem though.
Weber could of/should of thought of this. You don't spend $2k and scratch it all up.

Sorry, late to this party and doing my research on the WSCG. I don't see the mentioned picture. Any chance you still have the picture or can take another?

Back