Anyone going to the Del Mar BBQ Championship July 17?

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
Anyone else from So Cal planning on going to the Del Mar BBQ Championship at the Del Mar Race Track on July 17?

I was planning on going as a spectator and see what bbq competitions were all about as I've been considering entering an event sometime in the future.

Not much info on the event schedule, times, whether spectators are allowed Friday or Saturday, or just Sunday.

Any info would be appreciated!

Hi Erik,

Yes. The wife and I are both judging at the event.

This is opening day. The website for the event is found at... Del Mar Thoroughbred Club

Hope to see you there !

Bob

ADDED : I believe the teams will arrive Saturday, cook Saturday evening/Sunday morning, and compete Sunday afternoon. There might be a way to meet the teams Saturday. Since this is first time event, can't back that up with fact.

Last edited:
Could you also purchase Bbq to eat from competitors army these events? Or just food vendors? I would like to try some real championship q..

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the info.

I found the link to the sponsor website
http://arlie-que.com/event_detail.php?event=10200

But, there ain't much info at all for times, costs, etc.

The Del Mar Track Club at least had costs, but no times. I think it would be fun to sample some bbq, chat up some teams and stay for the judging, but not sure the family could withstand tagging along with old dad all day long.

Hi Erik,

Arlie is THE man ! Very excellent promoter, on a very nation wide basis. His contests are always top notch.
There another contest Arlie is doing in Dana Point, later this year. Also, an excellent contest.

Website shows noon to 5pm. Judging occurs from noon till about 2pm. We're usually located in a tent or building that is not open to the public. Unlike what you see on TV, actual judging is behind closed doors. It's double blind judging. Judges can not know who they are judging. We judge on a timeline that goes like this...
12:00pm - Chicken
12:30pm - Pork Ribs
1:00pm - Pork
1:30pm - Brisket

Teams will turn in their boxes beginning 5 minutes before these time up to 5 minutes after these times. A 10 minute window.

Not sure of the Del Mar event, but the Santa Anita event is always a very enjoyable event ! I suspect Del Mar will just as enjoyable.

Thank you for the info Bob! I will see if the wifey and kids would like to go... How much would a 2oz sample go for roughly?
Last time we went to the long beach Bbq fest.. Waited in a long line.. Mediocre Bbq...

Hi Randy,

I believe it's $10 for 4, 2oz samples. Totally understand about the mediocre bbq. You will have very seasoned, nationally ranked BBQ teams interspersed with some first timers as well as some of those 'vending' type teams.

For a list of how the teams are positioning themselves in this year's California BBQ Team of the Year race, visit our website at CBBQA Main Page
There's a list part way down on the right side. Not all of them vend, but might help you to decide whose BBQ to try...

ADDED : Generally speaking, teams do not vend their comp meats, although some do only until gone. Loads of money and effort tied into that the comp meats. Sometimes talking to a team helps ;)

As far as what it is like... we normally take one or two bites. If it rocks our world, it gets an excellent score.

Last edited:
Hi Bob! It's Greg the long hair guy! Long time no see! Remember me! I'm like 90% going! Just found out about this today. Really looking forward to go to the event!

Last edited:
Rad Fondo BBQ is competing so feel free to stop by and say hello. 11:45 - 1:31 is busy time as we are getting ready for turn ins. Thats the best time to stay back and watch. All other times just walk right up. Look for the Shimano tents. Del Mar should be a nice event. Arlie puts on a great event so it's worth your time. Unfortunately it seems that BBQ events have some sort of aversion to web traffic and there isn't much online regarding the events. The exception is TVWBB;-).

Mike

Hi Bob! It's Greg the long hair guy! Long time no see! Remember me! I'm like 90% going! Just found out about this today. Really looking forward to go to the event!

Hi Greg,
It has been too long. Almost at 2 years. And now, two excellent contests down in that area in a two week period of time !!! Hope to see you there !

Back