Spicy Beer Mustard - trying 3 variations

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Len posted a link to this recipe & I decided to give it a try........

I'm doing 3 kinds: one as directed, one with a minced habanero, and one with some dehydrated jalapenos.

I think I might add some black pepper but it's probably a good idea to keep the tweaks to a minimum at first.

I used Cutthroat Pale Ale for the beer, and I'll be darned if it doesn't smell like fresh wort (smells good so far! especially the hab batch). I've just had the seeds soaking for ~6 hours or so now.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/sauced-spicy-beer-mustard-recipe.html

INGREDIENTS

• 1/3 cup yellow mustard seeds
  • 1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup dark beer, divided
  • 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

DIRECTIONS

• 1. In a small bowl, cover yellow and brown mustard seeds with vinegar and 1/2 cup of beer. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.

• 2. In a small saucepan, mix together remaining ½ cup of beer, sugar, honey, salt, turmeric, and allspice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, remove from heat, and let cool slightly.

• 3. In the jar of a blender add mustard seeds with their soaking liquid and cooled mixture from saucepan. Puree until smooth. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate overnight before using.

Remember Clint, you don't have to puree till smooth (I guess you could say that's my tweak). Even though you've soaked them, the seeds can still retain a little bit of texture. Like most meals, there should be a contrast to provide that texture. Pulse it, don't puree. The end result will have what look like "skins". Perfect both from a texture and a visual perspective. It won't be crunchy, it'll just add some mouth feel to it. Not to sure about the hab version.

As much as I like hot, you have to remember the star of the meal is the meat. I think the heat from the hab may steal the spotlight. There should be plenty of spice heat just from the mustard seeds.

And the beer--->although it's not available here, you have to use a beer that you enjoy drinking. Just like when cooking with wine, you wouldn't use a wine (either in a sauce or a reduction) that you wouldn't want to drink on its own (ie plonk). Use one you like to drink and it'll pair wonderfully with what you're cooking.

Thx - yeah a lot of the mustards I get have some texture, some even whole seeds it seems.

Before I got started I was even thinking about making a batch using Makers Mark or something - I've picked up a couple ~4oz bottles of Jack Daniels mustard over the last few months.

As for the heat, I enjoy it :), plus maybe that one will just be used for my brats.... It might be a novelty but it'll get used :)

I've thought about a chipotle mustard even, or roasted pepper.... I was happy to see that it mentioned simmering before blending.... I didn't notice that the first time around so I simmered some minced hab in vinegar for ~5 minutes & then when I was getting ready to do the same thing with a Jalapeno (thought I had a fresh one) I re-read the instructions, cooled the first & prepped batches 2 & 3.

That beer (Cutthroat Pale Ale) is one of my favorites, I've used it in Barb's Beer Battered Onion Rings. It has a bit of a bite, maybe a touch more than a normal Pale Ale (one of my favorite beer varieties)

http://www.jackdanielsmustards.com/jack-daniels-products

Last edited:
As a homebrewer, I am interested. I like cooking with or making other "stuff" with my beer. I make beer cheese with pretzels why not beer mustard?!

Last edited:
As a homebrewer, I am interested. I like cooking with or making other "stuff" with my beer. I make beer cheese with pretzels why not beer mustard?!

I did a quick overnighter / camp etc, just got home.... I plan on finishing these 3 this afternoon, & I have a fresh pot of chili (2 days old) and some brats & custom buns I just picked up on my way home. I'll post an update as soon as I try it if it's awesome, might wait until tomorrow if it needs to fill in..... It's not hard so let's see if it's worth the small effort :) (I'm betting it is)

Well, it's been two days. What's the verdict?

TBD :)

Last edited:
Clint, thanks for posting. I never really thought of making my own mustard. I ran it by my six year old and she wants to help. She loves mustard.

I cooked up some brats last night, not long after finishing the mustards......

They are Spicy! Not the hab - I don't think I could use enough of the mustard to taste the hab, more like a horseradish hot......

I tried just the hab version last night on both of my brats, (tried all 3 and couldn't tell much difference between them). This morning I just took a small sample out of the jalapeno & it seemed to have mellowed.

The sauces seemed a little thin. I started with the plain, then jalapeno, & then habanero (in the blender in that order). The first 2 got an extra palm full of yellow mustard seeds, the third might've got that too...but there was a little less liquid left for the third.... so don't use all the liquid called for but save it in the fridge...I think.

Still no verdict, it's good but VERY potent! I have so much mustard it's not even funny :) (maybe 3 pints or half pints............)

I'll post updates as to how it ages & if I do anything else.

13490870_10206648799720576_1502625690958774864_o.jpg

13502643_10206648838121536_5068798507586981286_o.jpg

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65992-Brats

But it's fun experimenting, isn't it? I let it cook down to the consistency I want. Flavour is there just not the liquid. To each his own.

But it's fun experimenting, isn't it? I let it cook down to the consistency I want. Flavour is there just not the liquid. To each his own.

Definitely!

I'll be doing some Makers Mark for sure,,,,also some other flavors (chipotle etc).

I picked up a book on hot sauces but lent it out - hope to try some of them too.

I'll probably wind up giving a bunch of this away, it's cheap & effortless. I might try adding more sugar to a portion, some Worcestershire or balsamic vinegar to another, but I'm going to watch how it develops on its own too, later today & next week etc.

Thought I'd resurrect this as I needed my recipe again. Any more experiments?

I'll probably wind up giving a bunch of this away, it's cheap & effortless. I might try adding more sugar to a portion, some Worcestershire or balsamic vinegar to another, but I'm going to watch how it develops on its own too, later today & next week etc.

I make my own mustard as well. Currently trying to work my way through probably a liter or more of mustard!

Sometime ago I bought a small jar of garlic/basilicum mustard. It tastes great. Good enough as a dip.
That might be my next try.

Then to the beer part: I made beer vinegar. Pretty tasty as well :)

I make my own mustard as well. Currently trying to work my way through probably a liter or more of mustard!

Sometime ago I bought a small jar of garlic/basilicum mustard. It tastes great. Good enough as a dip.
That might be my next try.

Then to the beer part: I made beer vinegar. Pretty tasty as well :)
A litre?? Goes good with grilled sausages ;)

Lots of variations available--your garlic/basil being a good-looking one . Roasted garlic and carmelized onions being another.

Storage up to a year in the fridge is a bonus.

I haven't made this in I don't remember how long...... I still have a bag each of brown yellow seeds.

.............what flavor will be next.

just made the original again. I adjusted a bit: 2/3 of the 2nd half of both beer and spices AND added 1t extra of each seed to the first soak. Consistency is perfect.

Back