Hot Wings around the Vortex

Come on Marty you could get another 2lbs of wings on there.;)
Vortex wings rule.

Wings look delicious! I keep talking myself out of getting a vortex, then I see pics like yours Marty and I think, well maybe I do need one.

I am VERY interested in the Vortex for my Weber Performers. Which size would you recommend. The Vortex site suggests EITHER the small or the medium. I am leaning towards the medium.

Next question, who has the best price on shipping? Any suggestions here would be appreciated as I know of no dealer in my area. The shipping quoted seems quite high (yeah, I am cheap but I prefer the term "Frugal").

These questions may help others, too, who might be "on the fence" about picking up ANOTHER grilling "must have" tool:rolleyes:.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I am VERY interested in the Vortex for my Weber Performers. Which size would you recommend. The Vortex site suggests EITHER the small or the medium. I am leaning towards the medium.

Next question, who has the best price on shipping? Any suggestions here would be appreciated as I know of no dealer in my area. The shipping quoted seems quite high (yeah, I am cheap but I prefer the term "Frugal").

These questions may help others, too, who might be "on the fence" about picking up ANOTHER grilling "must have" tool:rolleyes:.

Keep on smokin',

Most customers with a 22.5 get a medium, some later also get a small.

Both the small and the medium Vortex will work great in the 22.5” Weber kettle….that is the one kettle size that both units are really great in. Really it depends on what cooking style/s you are wanting to use the most.

Indirect/Direct cooking – for instance like chicken wings for example the small Vortex would give you more grill space and you can fit more food.

Low & Slow – for cooking a pork butt a medium Vortex would give you a larger indirect space for bigger butts. And the small Vortex would get you longer time because you have more room for charcoal.

Direct High Heat – for searing steaks the medium Vortex will give you more searing room.

Infrared Heat – for cooking a beer can chicken the medium Vortex will give you room for a larger bird, even a small turkey (I put a 8 pound turkey in the medium).

Marty;
Thanks for that VERY helpful post. Directly because of your examples it appears that my best bet is the Medium (I need a modest number of wings and chicken parts at a time, and I especially want to roast whole chickens). I do my serious "low and slow" on my two Weber smokers.

Keep on smokin',

You people are TERRIBLE! (Enablers, that is!:eek:). You did it again! I ordered a medium Vortex today from bbqsmokermods.com and it should be here in a week or less. I am really looking forward to using it!

Keep on smokin',

Thanks Marty, perfect description of the product differences, just what I've been waiting for.
I plan on mostly using it indirect for chicken pieces.
Just ordered a small, going to be a weekend of wings coming up.

Looks Great... I love my Vortex, got a 2nd on the last wing competition.. Marinaded for 2 hrs, indirect for 90 minutes and direct for 90 secs each side... Bam... Awesome...

Back