Best Pulled Pork Shredder

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
I do catering and when doing an event I often have several pork butts to pull in a short amount of time. This can be quite a bit of work when doing by hand so I have decided I would get one of those pulled pork shredders-you know, the kind you stick in the end or a drill and it shreds the pork butt in a matter of seconds. The only problem is while researching these I have discovered that there are several makers of these devices and each one designed and built just a little different from the other. I am reaching out to those of you who either own one of these shredders or have experience with one and wish to share your thoughts on it. I am not looking for someone to tell me I do not need one I just want to know which one is best.

Steve,
Don't use one here, but can most certainly see the advantage when catering or doing pc at a comp.
Would probably look for one that doesn't leave metal shards behind...
Pins that are not screw in.
etc...
;)

I used one called a porka something or other and it reminded me of mixing mud ( joint compound ). Basically you set a 5 gal bucket or stock pot on the ground and wedge it between both feet to keep the vessel from spinning.
Set your cordless drill to reverse ( which I didn't understand because that loosens up the chuck ) but I went with it and it was fast and worked ok.
Whatever you choose I would suggest also buying a new cordless drill. You don't want to use one lying around the garage that has been used on concrete, pressure treated wood, running a sewer snake etc...

Tim

Why not just use a machete?

]

Machete would make quick work of those butts :)

machete_trejo_md.jpg

In the video you can see Chris Lilly discarding stuff from the pork - I assume that he pitches lumps of fat (as I do). You can't do that with the power tools

Funny, I've used forks and decided that Bear Claws were the way to go. The forks did a great job but kind of hard on the fingers. After using the claws, I've gone back to forks as the claws seem a bit too awkward. With the forks, I can get "up close" to the meat and in my mind I do a better job. To each his own I guess.

Whatever works for you the the way to go Bill. There is no right or wrong answer. Fat or no fat, it is up to you.

I just use my hands (in gloves). Am I doing something wrong? I pull out all the fat. These guys just leave it in there.

Whatever works for you the the way to go Bill. There is no right or wrong answer. Fat or no fat, it is up to you.

Thanks, Bob. I know fat is flavor, but chomping down on a big bite of fat is not my what I call a great meal. I use the degreased and strained juices from the cook to keep my PP moist (I know, real men aren't supposed to use that word).

Back