Kitchen Hacks, Tips & Tricks

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I thought it might be a fun thread to share tips and tricks, cooking related or for anything.
Maybe it's something you've done for years, or just discovered, even if you think everyone probably knows about it, please share.
No pics required, but welcome.

I'll go first.
Today I found out that leftover French fries are pretty darn good if reheated with just a little oil in a skillet, preferably cast iron.
I've tried the microwave way, and always tossed them after a couple of bites.

Next!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one Dustin.

Here's another one.
Place several empty trash/garbage bags flat in the bottom of your cans to have handy for replacement.

When eating at Dickeys BBQ always get your food to go in a sealed container placed inside a plastic bag. That way when you get home you can simply throw it away without even having to open it, saving yourself from having to discover how terrible it is.

Cotton balls rubbed in vasoline (petroleum jelly) works just as good if not better than starter cubes and cost a lot less.
Tim

Need a place to hang your grate on the Platinum Performer? Look no further than the back side of the frame. Yes, that slit is were you place the handle of the grate.

Bill

Use your instant-read thermometer to check the doneness of a baked potato. It's perfectly done when it measures 205-212*F internal temp.

Use your instant-read thermometer to check for "softened" butter needed for baking. It should measure 65-67*F.

When measuring sticky liquids like honey or molasses, spray the measuring spoon or measuring cup with non-stick spray for easy release.

To reheat leftover pizza slices, place on a rimmed baking sheet and cover tightly with foil. Place on the bottom rack of a cold oven. Set oven to 275*F and heat pizza for 25 minutes. Gentle rise in temp results in soft interior, melted cheese, warmed toppings, and crisp crust.

Add salt to beaten eggs before cooking for moist, tender scrambled eggs. Cooking without salt results in stronger protein bonds, making eggs more firm and rubbery.

For best texture inside and out, sprinkle hamburger patties with salt right before putting them on the grill. Salt mixed into the meat before shaping the patties results in a firm texture similar to sausage, and salting on the outside 30 minutes before grilling results in burgers that are tender on the inside but dry on the outside.

Sprinkle salt and other seasonings on food from at least 12" above for even coverage.

A properly sharpened knife should be able to slice though the edge of a piece of printer paper with ease.

All of these come from America's Test Kitchen.

When measuring sticky liquids like honey or molasses, spray the measuring spoon or measuring cup with non-stick spray for easy release.

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reset the regulator. This happened to me once, I was expecting it to be a little more involved. You might have done this before and not even known you did it. If this ever happens, don't get too worried, here is what you do.

1. Close the valve on the tank and turn off all your burners
2. That's it, your done

1. To keep brown sugar soft, put a couple of marshmallows in the container with the sugar.

2. If your brown sugar does turn into a rock, simply whiz up a chunk in a clean spice/coffee grinder.

3. Save those little desiccate packets that come in vitamin bottles. To keep grinder blades and plates (or any steel item) from rusting, seal them in a ziploc bag with several of those packets.

Need a place to hang your grate on the Platinum Performer? Look no further than the back side of the frame. Yes, that slit is were you place the handle of the grate.

Bill

Bill, I do that all the time. It's like it was designed that way.

If you use a chimney starter in a Performer Platinum, pop out the interior cone, flip it over and pop it back in with the point now facing down. Your briquettes are now about 3" closer to the flame and will light much faster.

Jeff

Forgot to pack a grill brush for the beach/tail gate/picnic ? Simply ball up some foil and scrub the grates with that held in your tongs. Easy peasy!

If you have a coffee grinder, use it for fresh ground coriander seeds, peppercorns, etc.
Grind a few coffee beans to a powder before adding the spice/spices for another layer of flavor.

Like medium rare steak the next day? Turn the temp down on microwave power level to 5 or less. It will take more time to heat your food but it does not recook the meat. I always reheat any food I have cooked this way.

Like to reheat pizza in the micro wave? Put a glass of water in with the pizza. I normally wet a paper towel and place it over my pizza. It keeps the splatter down and adds moister to the wave as it reheats. Takes much less time than doing it in the over. I do not like a real crispy crust so this may not be for everyone.

I mix a cap full of laundry detergent in a spray bottle with water and clean spills on the carpet with it. Works great in the car as well.

I like cleaning my grill grates with 1 part vinegar or lemon juice with 2 parts water in a bowl. Dip the grill brush in that then scrub the hot grate.

I chech how hot it is outside with a thermopen

I wipe my thermopen off with alcohol and cotton ball

I always wash my cast iron with soap and water then grease with olive oil every time.

Great ideas Chris. Thanks.
Have not been posting as much lately. Moved to SC and busy with renovating an older house.
Thanks again for all that you do for us.
Ray

Bob, as usual, you have started a great thread with so many possibilities. Could you possibly rename it something like Kitchen Hacks? Or Chis, possibly a new category for Kitchen Hacks?

This would be so great as an additional category in the threads list.

Would you be able to rename this thread so that those of us could find the tips easier? I don't want to miss any of them. Our gang is so creative.

Rita

Want to keep that roll of Alum foil in the box as you pull it? Depress the tabs in the side of the box to hold the roll in.

Thanks Rita, and to the contributors, great tips and tricks so far!
I did regret the wording of my title, but can't change it, so Chris feel free to do so.

One of my reasons for starting it was to get us engaged in a topic besides fat side up or down, water or no water, etc. :)

Last edited:

Back