Maverick Tip Top-Temp Grill Temperature Regulator 19.99 w/fs Usually $30

Rich Langer

TVWBB Guru
http://www.yardandpool.com/maverick-tip-top-temp-grill-temperature-regulator
Attaches to the outlet vent and monitors the smoke temp - too hot it closes; too cool it opens (bimetallic coil like in a thermostat)
Great for low & slow in your kettle or WSM :wsm:
544602.jpg

Just placed an order for one to go on my kettle for the low and slow cooking, expecting great things from this gismo as it has quite a following on some of the other grilling/smoking forums and should be a big help on my humble burnt offerings.

So, is it magnetic or what? How does it attach? Does it fit over the whole daisy top vent or do you have to remove the daisy wheel to install it?
There are three, rather important, questions which are not addressed in the link. Or did I simply not read something?
Very cool idea but, I don't have a WSM and would use it on a 22.5 kettle.
I would appreciate as much information as any one can share, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
So, is it magnetic or what? How does it attach? Does it fit over the whole daisy top vent or do you have to remove the daisy wheel to install it?
There are three, rather important, questions which are not addressed in the link. Or did I simply not read something?
Very cool idea but, I don't have a WSM and would use it on a 22.5 kettle.
I would appreciate as much information as any one can share, thanks in advance.

My understanding is that it is not magnetic so just sits on its silicone band over the top of the top vent, no need to remove the daisy wheel. It can be modded to fit other cooking units such as Green Eggs etc.

I believe that it was designed for Weber kettles - the silicone band fits around the upper vent - real simple. Its when folks start putting them on kamados that things get interesting :wsm:

Thanks John, I might just have to get one!
Fine all you enabling so and so's! I ordered one! Should see it by the end of the week!
I waited for almost two hours before giving in to the "gizmosis" which afflicts, musicians, photographers, campers and, apparently grilling fools, like me!
So, I'm thinking snake or slow load on baskets for desired effect?

Last edited:
I went ahead and order one up, because what the heck, right? I saved a dollar by signing up for their newsletter 18.99 w/ free shipping!

I'm not much of a gadget guy, but for twenty bucks I'll try anything that might help keep the temps somewhat stable in the winds were having here. Or seeing that I ordered one the winds will now go away:rolleyes: Whatever works.

I might test mine today, just a couple of racks of ribs, from the info sheet, the thing looks like it's a real coal miser! Twenty odd unlit and six lit for a several hour cook? If the thing is a terrible failure the idea is still really cool!
To the grill!
Several hours later,
It took about half an hour to get to 275* now I will see how well it really manages to maintain a temperature. Having a hard time believing that few briquettes will last from twelve until five?

Last edited:
Update....
The "twenty to thirty" briquette number is low IMHO, I will try it again with double that number, easy enough to slow the rascal but, I think I need more practice.
"Hi, my name is Tim and I'm a grillaholic!"
Had to fire the 18 for some other goodies so, I will probably glaze these ribs off on that quick and dirty and run some sausages there too.

Update....
The "twenty to thirty" briquette number is low IMHO, I will try it again with double that number, easy enough to slow the rascal but, I think I need more practice.
"Hi, my name is Tim and I'm a grillaholic!"
Had to fire the 18 for some other goodies so, I will probably glaze these ribs off on that quick and dirty and run some sausages there too.

Thanks for the information.
Sounds like you had some fun and fed the addiction!!! My TTT arrived and is sitting in the box waiting to do duty, I have blown some hot air on it just to watch the butterfly move.

Yep, bag plus a week and the desire grows everyday! The TTTis pretty cool but, like I say I'm on the front end of the learning curve. The ribs turned out very nicely

Glad to hear it seems to work okay, mine should be here next week, got a pork butt waiting for it.

Of course it arrives the day after I did the pork butt. Was reading the directions and it says to close all vents but the top one, seems a little odd to me. Those of you who have used yours what did you do? It also later on says you may have to adjust your bottom vents, okay which is it.

I had to crack the bottom a little when the "short load" started to fail. I will regroup and try another something soon.
Rich, are you going to use this on your performer or WSM?
The website instructions are slightly different from the ones in the box but, it's really just based on difference from ambient temp. Pretty clever, I don't know how much I will really use it but, another shotgun on the cabinet.

I had to crack the bottom a little when the "short load" started to fail. I will regroup and try another something soon.
Rich, are you going to use this on your performer or WSM?
The website instructions are slightly different from the ones in the box but, it's really just based on difference from ambient temp. Pretty clever, I don't know how much I will really use it but, another shotgun on the cabinet.

Thanks for the info. Most likely the performer as it's the one that gives me the most exercise running back and forth to adjust vents when I use it as a smoker. The 18.5 WSM is pretty stable. So it won't get a lot of use .

Back