Fishing Trip

Chris Mills

TVWBB Fan
For over 20 years myself, father, uncle and cousin have gone up to Moosehead Lake in northern Maine every spring for a long weekend fishing trip. Its a guys only trip that sometimes yields good fishing, sometimes poor fishing, but always good times, good food and more than a few adult beverages. My oldest son started going when he was 9 (he's now 15) and my youngest son (he's 6) will start making the trek in a few more years.

Anyway, we always bring a Weber Kettle with us and since I'm in the habit of always bringing my 18" WSM whenever I do normal camping I figured why not bring it along to Moosehead this year. The day I ended up smoking turned out to be a windy, rainy and nasty day but of course we didn't let that deture us.

Here you can get an idea of what the weather was like out on the water.

moosehead1.jpg

The fire pit even needed a windbreak. L-R my son, father, uncle, cousin.

moosehead2.jpg

You can just make out my green Lund through the trees on the left.

moosehead3.jpg

Here is the cabin we get every year. When we first started it was in tents, then graduated to popup camper and eventually to the cabin since it was easier to get fishing/drinking faster and since we bring two boats, a camper (my dad and I both have 5th wheel campers) wasnt an option. You'll also notice we put another tarp to work as a windbreak.

moosehead4.jpg

What's hiding behind that tarp?

moosehead5.jpg

Mmmmm.....ribs.

moosehead6.jpg

Ready to eat.

moosehead7.jpg

Final shot, my dad, son, myself.

moosehead8.jpg

Those are priceless times. And some awfully good looking food too.

Your son has great taste in hats, by the way.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guy Wallace:
Looks like a great time ! BUT I have 1 ? were is the fish
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fishing was real slow this year. A few togue (lake trout) but not much else. Didn't see a single salmon all weekend. Ice was out a bit earlier this year and the water temps were up, around 64F, and I think that was pushing the action deeper. If we hit the lake when the water temp is still around 50F on the surface then the salmon and brookie action is usually pretty good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mills:
Fishing was real slow this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Did you remember to say a 'Hail Mary' every time you put your line in the water?

Oh, and if someone calls your son in just before getting into the boat, don't sit in the front.
icon_wink.gif

Hey Chris - What a priceless post and a great presentation. You will be surprised at all the opportunities to relive those trips when a familiar object presents itself from time to time. I lived 40 years in Alaska and had my Dad up there several times fishing with me and my son. Congratulations and thanks for sharing that post. Bob Bailey
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Traditions are important in a family. I remember the trips with my father and brothers. Thanks for sharing, it has brought back a lot of memories.

Hey Chris - great post. I'm a river smallie fan (river kayak fishing) and can really appreciate the combination of fishing, Q - and the cabin option!

Great time and great memories seems like they've stacked up nicely for you with that tradition you have going!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by k straker:
What kind of bait did you use to catch those ribs?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gin.
icon_smile.gif

Back