Weber Summit Charcoal Grill / Grilling Center Owners Thread

Dennis Y

TVWBB Member
Hi I thought it's useful to create this new thread for the WSCG owners. The sticky has too much irrelevant information. We can discuss issue/question here in a central thread. I hope this will be useful for current/potential owners.

Owner's Guide (PDF) from Weber
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center

SCHEMATICS
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill
Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center

New Weber accessories:
- Weber Stainless Steel Charcoal Rake - 7649
- Weber Expansion Grilling Rack - 7647
Compatibility: Summit Charcoal Grill, 26" Weber® charcoal grills, 22" Smokey Mountain Cooker™ Smoker, Genesis® and Summit® gas grills (with warming rack removed).
- Weber Stainless Steel Rib Rack - 7648
- Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center Grill Cover - 7174
- Weber Summit Charcoal Black Grill Cover - 7173

In case anyone wonders - the 2 charcoal baskets are included.

Last edited:
Here's my grill right before getting it dirty the first time on Memorial Day:

26760973144_230af3c595_c.jpg

I wish I bought the expansion grilling rack when I ordered my grill. Now I can't find it anywhere online offering free shipping. Hopefully it will eventually show up at HD.

After I used it for the first time for grilling on Memorial Day... I have some questions with this grill.

1. How do you clean the center grate insert properly? When I tried to clean it with a grill brush applying some pressure, the insert kept coming off and falling off to the charcoal. It's a pain in the a**. If I don't apply enough pressure the stuff just won't come off. This might actually be not a WSCG-specific issue and may apply to other grills with the Gourmet BBQ system, but I am not sure if they are designed differently.

2. If you were smoking a babyback ribs, how do you bring up the temperature (convert from smoke mode to direct cook) at the end of the cook after putting the sauce on? Just take out the diffuser plate?

Last edited:
1) if your brush doesn't get it off, you can cook it off very easily in the grill setting with the coals up close. It gets hot, like screaming, turns your gunk to white ash, hot. Also, for low and slow think of cooking in disposable restaurant pans, makes clean up so much easier and no gunk on the grate.

2) I would just open the top vent completely (but not to long) and Jack the temp up to 350+. No need for radiant heat, in fact I don't think you want it as it is likely to burn your sauce and you just want to set the sauce.

I've had my grill center for about 6 weeks now.
1) I had the same trouble cleaning the center grate. After awhile I finally learned where to apply pressure and where to put the brush so that it covered both grades evenly.

2) Did my first smoke Memorial weekend. Baby back ribs and chicken. At the end of the cook I took the diffuser plate out and added some more charcoal to brown the chicken and ribs. Worked out great.

3) The expansion rack worked out great and is a must have imo

Have fun and Lear along the way.

Thanks for the info. Looks like there will be some learning curve there.

I am cooking my first ever baby back ribs right now...

26836187033_101d459fc7_c.jpg

about 1.5hr later:

26836186803_2ee55d2a81_c.jpg

I am getting some inconsistency between the dome therm and the probe (but check pic above my probe is just dangling there)

26836187183_960d2d7ae4_c.jpg

Also ordered my expansion rack / charcoal rake / rib rack. Besides the rake I was still able to get a 15% discount.

Last edited:
Expansion racks are hard to come by. Show out of stock everywhere including weber, but I needed one for Memorial day weekendand ordered from weber 2 wees prior and got it just in time. Allowed me to stack 2 rib racks and fit 9 racks of baby backs on at one time. They continued to show out of stock the entire time.

Last edited:
Wonder if you could place the turkey on the diffuser?
The manual specifically says do not place food directly on the diffuser. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put the turkey on a drip pan placed on top of the diffuser without the cooking crate.

I did a beer can style turkey in my big green egg. While it was good, I don't feel it offered an advantage over the turkey laying on its back. I used a turkey stand. Don't remember where I got it.

Went to Ace to check out the WSCG. Looks and feels great. The charcoal grate is very high quality. Seems like it would be a lot easier to set up vs the BGE. I opened the lids on both and the BGE lid was much harder to open.

Any specific reason you want to place it vertical? Beer can turkey?

In my experience it cooks better. At least in my 18.5 WSM. I use a turkey fryer stand. Which lets air flow through the inside.

i made the plunge

The Ace affiliate in Bethesda, Maryland didn't have any WSGC in stock (even though I called in advance to ask that specific question; grrrr) outside of the floor model. which they offered up with a $100 discount.

Got about 2 bowlfuls of charcoal going; it make take all night to finish.

i made the plunge

The Ace affiliate in Bethesda, Maryland didn't have any WSGC in stock (even though I called in advance to ask that specific question; grrrr) outside of the floor model. which they offered up with a $100 discount.

Got about 2 bowlfuls of charcoal going; it make take all night to finish.

Beautiful looking cooker!! Very jealous. I will probably get one within a few years.

I picked up my WSGC yesterday afternoon (early Father's Day present) & my brother and I had it assembled in a couple of hours. I didn't really have enough time to do a long cook, but I did throw some burgers on for the family. I will say if you buy either Charcoal Summit model, make sure to keep your chimney or torch handy if you're going to go for a high heat direct cook as it takes quite a while (20-25 minutes) for the gas ignition to fully light the charcoal when the charcoal grate is in the upper position.

Last edited:

Back