Late arrival, lame entry

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Crazy Smoke Day weekend, but things settled enough this evening where I was able to smoke something. And I can at least say it was something I've not tried before. Did a little lunch meat with a Prime eye of round I picked up on Friday. ~2.2lbs - I seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning this morning, then bagged it and let it sit in the fridge all day. Cooked on the Performer with the charcoal baskets at ~325 with a little Pecan and Cherry. Pulled it at 125 and let it rest. I took a little sample tonight, but put the rest in the fridge and will slightly freeze and slice tomorrow. Simple cook, but pretty good results.

Prime EoR, 'naked' and waiting for the rub.

Rubbed and ready for a rest in the fridge:

Off the grill and resting:

A few test slices taken off the end:

A few lessons on this one: 1) let it rest longer on the counter before putting it on, and 2) consider lower heat on the grill. I think doing both of these would have given me a more even doneness. Still, it tasted really, really good. Can't wait to make some sammys...

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Last edited:
Jim, you did us proud with that roast cooked to the perfect temperature! Now enjoy the sandwiches that come from that!

Update: stuck this little roast in the freezer for about an hour tonight, then broke out the new slicer. This stuff is good!! And the slicer works pretty well too. A little tough to clean - had to remove the blade, which is held on with 3 screws. But the whole process only took 5 minutes or so. Next time, I'll go with a little lower heat, and trim more of the exterior fat before cooking. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy.

This roast beef got an enthusiastic two thumbs up from all four of us. Kids will enjoy nice, fresh roast beef sandwiches in their lunches tomorrow!

IMG_3848_zpsnlomytjw.jpg

Last edited:
Jim, after seeing the photo of those roast beef slices, don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep with some bread and a bottle of horseradish sauce!

Back