Auber Controller, with grate temp fluctuations WSM 18.5

Bryn

First let me ask if anyone has found a good place to clip the probe, maybe my placement is wrong.

What I am noticing is when the blower is running the measured temp value is dropping and not responding very quickly when the blower is off, so causing the blower to come on again, causing the measured value to drop even further. I have seen temperature drops as much as 30-40 degrees, before the temp will rise and then over shoot a large amount. This tends to be in the first couple of hours, and later when I need to add some fuel. It seems that cold air is affecting the grate probe, and have tried moving to different locations, but have limited locations when the top grate is full.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Bryn

Do you have the 6.5 cfm fan? If you have the 10 cfm or larger, you may be pushing more air than needed for combustion, possibly resulting in a cooling effect. Then, once the coals catch up, too many are burning and the fire is too hot. You may try closing the top vent if you have not already done so. That will slow the air flow a little. Just speculating!

Call Auber, they have been good to work with.

Last edited:
+1

Try adding an air deflector inside your smoker to direct all of the incoming air from the blower onto your coal bed. It sounds like too much of the air is bypassing the coals and cooling the probe rather than stoking the fire.

Mike

Back