And so it begins...Genesis Silver C "Spruce Up"

RMcCormick

TVWBB Member
*Gril is DONE! Posting all the pics in the last post as we speak.*

Hi!

If you want the back to story to how I got here please see here http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65541-Would-You-Pay-350-for-this-Grill , and then follow the progression here http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65556-I-m-such-a-nerd-can-t-wait-to-get-started , which of course leads to where we are now.

Pulled my early 2000's Genesis Silver C that I picked up yesterday apart this morning. Again, wow, just wow. I can't believe how well these bad boys are made. As I thought, the grill is basically in great shape. I would call this project more of a deep cleaning and a spruce up than a refurb. And after disassembly of course I already have a couple questions.

Is were any way to tell what year the grill is based on this sticker?
26747169683_1a28219117_c.jpg

I'm going going to replace the upper warming rack, that swinging basket, Flavorizer bars, and then I have the GrillGrates
26747172633_35d92cfd6c_c.jpg

Okay, so I couldn't get the bolt on top of the burner knob that I'm pointing at here to come loose. I wanted to totally disassemble if for cleaning. Is there some secret to getting this off? I didn't try to hard cause I didn't want to ruin it as there is nothing wrong with it and it works fine.
26747173383_e0cf075c2e_c.jpg

The little nuts that hold the sides of the lid to to the top of the lid, are those reusable? The almost look like one time use. I assume it's a standard bolt and I could just grab some from the hardware store, correct?
26747178023_952179af52_c.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't going to paint, but I figured while I have it apart to clean it I might as well.

Like I said, everything seems work, so, is there anything else I should replace while I have it apart?

For instance, the little plastic toggle that pushes down on the ignition switch disintegrated when I tried to take them out, both on the main igniter and the side burner igniter. I will have to try and hunt those down for sure. Should I replace the igniters while I have them out? They both work. I tested them before I pulled them apart.

As for the burner tubes, the grill got wicked hot, wicked quick. The appear to be fine. No punctures, tears, or rusting. As is everything else, they are original. So again do I just go ahead and replace them as a matter of course while the grill is apart or just wait till the kick it?

Thanks again for all your help thus far. Looking forward to going forward!

As for the year, if I read the info on the weber.com site, that grill is a 2000 - 2001 model year. To my eye, it doesn't look like anything except the plastic toggles would need to be replaced. If I were you, I would call weber and register the grill. The info they will as for is on the side of the control panel. They should be able to supply those igniter actuator buttons. Good luck with that beautiful grill.

As for the year, if I read the info on the weber.com site, that grill is a 2000 - 2001 model year. To my eye, it doesn't look like anything except the plastic toggles would need to be replaced. If I were you, I would call weber and register the grill. The info they will as for is on the side of the control panel. They should be able to supply those igniter actuator buttons. Good luck with that beautiful grill.

I will do that. Thank you.

Those are thread cutting nuts, they're at the hardware store. Sometimes they're re usable other times not. Looks like my pile i have in the garage, started painting my cart today.

Ereplacmentparts.com has the plastic toggles. I've reused the nuts for the side panels on the last four rebuilds I've done without any problems. Remember if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.
Looking forward to seeing it completed, you're really going to like that grill.

Thanks for the response. I cleaned everything today and laid down the first coat of paint on most of the stuff before I ran out of daylight. My 12 year old daughter helped me paint. She done good! I didn't get a chance to take pictures today. I was way to dirty and I didn't want to break the rhythm. I will take some pictures tomorrow before I get started again to document the process.

I dropped the nuts for the side panel in the sonic cleaner and it got all the crud off so I should be able to get a wrench on them to tighten them back down. As you say if it ain't broke...

And on that note...I can't believe it but I got the stainless warming rack and swinging basket back to shinny stainless steel. I can't believe it. They must have used really good stainless steel for those parts. It would have been a shame to let them go. Can't wait to show you those.

I did order the flavorizer bars from RCPlaneBuyer on eBay. He uses better stainless than the ones for sale on Amazon. I got the Flavorizer bars clean but there is quiet a bit of rust on several of them. I probably could have gotten by with the originals for a while, but I wanted the best cooking experience possible after all the sweat and elbow grease invested. Even the grates came amazingly clean. I'm going to use them in conjunction with the GrillGrates.

So $125 for the grill, $55 for stainless Flavorizer bars, $25 for paint, and a lot'o time got me one awesome grill! Oh yea, and $27 for the plastic igniter toggles ( I shouldn't have tried to take them out :mad:)

I'll post more tomorrow. I'm going to finish it up while I'm smoking some ribs in the Kettle with the slow and sear. :D I can already tell though...it's going to look brand new.

Last edited:
I know your planning on using grill grates but the heavy cast iron grates originally on the Weber are very good.
With minimal care ( brush & wipe with oil after cooking) they work wonderfully.
I prefer them over grill grates for grilling fish , seafood , delicate veggies. Because of heavy bars close together you can grill on the grate without using a basket.
I have a set of grill grates I won but prefer the Weber cast iron.

I know your planning on using grill grates but the heavy cast iron grates originally on the Weber are very good.
With minimal care ( brush & wipe with oil after cooking) they work wonderfully.
I prefer them over grill grates for grilling fish , seafood , delicate veggies. Because of heavy bars close together you can grill on the grate without using a basket.
I have a set of grill grates I won but prefer the Weber cast iron.

I don't have grill grates but I do have the cast iron grates that John is referring to and they really work great and easy to care for.

I don't have grill grates but I do have the cast iron grates that John is referring to and they really work great and easy to care for.

I have the silver B, ~2001, & I got the Weber 7526, buy that's been discontinued. Looks like the new model is 7638, but triple check to make sure it's the right one for you if you go that direction.... hth.

You're getting serious with that project :)

You mentioned "one time use" on the nuts... I thought the same thing, I salvaged a part for another member here from a craigslist find, so I took that apart. Did you use an impact wrench to get them out - that wasn't easy for me!

Good luck, & I'll be happy to see the finished product. I wish mine had a side burner.

I don't oil my grates or take any special care of them. No wear, I've had since 9/2014. I use mine with the flat side up, some use the pointed side up, but that's another discussion :)

John, thanks for the info. However, since I'm going at this from a "how cheap can I do it" standpoint, and I already have the grill grates, and the original porcelain covered steel grates are in such excellent shape, I'm going to stick with what I have for now. If and when I get around to upgrading I will definitely go with the cast iron grates. The only thing I replaced were the flavorizer bars because the originals were pretty rusted. Everything else on the grill was in pristine shape.

We are up and running!

Finished putter the old betty together last night about 19:00.

Man, that was a lot of work for 2 days. I didn't keep exact tract, but I'm guessing I put 14-16 hours of labor in. Amazed I got it all done in 2 days.

The things I did where:

Bought a grill ($125)
Disassembled and power washed every piece. Scrubbed, scrubbed, and scrubbed some more.
Repainted entire frame, fire box, lid, and lid sides. ($30)
Disassembled the propane tank gauge, repaired it, painted it, and reassembled. (Not sure how accurate it is, but I seems to work.
Cleaned and protected all plastic pieces (end pieces, tables, and handle)
Sonic cleaned all hardware
Replaced igniter toggles (that I broke) ($27)
Replaced Flavorizer Bars ($55) (On order)
Put it all back together, tested, polished (not sure why, it's just going to get dirty)

Here is a link with all the pictures from the whole project so you can see the before and after pics.

26746153734_6009b3f999_c.jpg

27320083796_2eaacf6c1c_c.jpg

27320041816_d12a40903d_c.jpg

27320078406_86e2afff32_c.jpg

27320079306_c100da8733_c.jpg

27320040866_cfdbae3066_c.jpg

27320079686_82a08168f9_c.jpg

27320080396_5737e91b92_c.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job! Now you can start posting some pictures of what you cook on that bad boy.

Why in earth would you ruin the lid by painting it?! Weber coats the lids in porcelain (basically glass fused to metal) they are not painted and never should be

Back