Widows 10 being forced on to my computer

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Both Barb and I have been getting the update to windows 10 banners and pop ups and we just close them and move on.
Now the windows 10 pop up comes on and you can't close it and your only option is to schedule a date they offer or do the upgrade right now. I just moved the pop up to the bottom of the screen and was able to continue on.
This morning I get a pop up that says they will automatically sometime today upgrade me to windows 10 and the last few times I've shut down my computer I get the upgrade and shut down message instead of just the shut down message, so I've been shutting it down using the on/off button the computer which avoids the upgrade.
I have 8.1 and am completely happy with it and the horror stories I've heard about widows 10 I don't want it.
I did some research and this appears to be a power grab by Microsoft and they even admit to it. Windows 10 is big brother watching every thing you do, much more so than what we have today.
Anyone else experiencing this? Guess it's time to look at an Apple computer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...-onto-windows-7-and-windows-8/2/#dfbf84474328

Last edited:
Rich. I switched to a Mac about 10 years ago. Best move I ever made. M$ Windoze runs so much unnecessary bloat-ware by default, & you have to run an anti-virus, the 'puter ran at a snail's pace. With a Mac if you don't want to upgrade then you don't have to. I do not run any anti-virus software at all. I will never go back to M$ Windoze. Many programmes today are designed to run on PC & Mac. I run M$ Office for Mac due to work, runs great.

I have windows 10 on my HTPC & a tech notebook - I like it a lot.

I have windows 7 on three other PCs. I have the upgrade windows icon near the clock on the taskbar, but it's not forcing it on me - I wonder if that's a windows 8 thing.

Windows 10 as been offered as a free upgrade and that's coming to an end soon....like within 1.5 months. I plan on upgrading 2 more PCs before July 29 (today would be a good day for me).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

I wonder if you could uninstall an automatic update in the add/remove programs section in the control panel.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...install windows 10 upgrade automatic download

I personally avoid all things apple for a few different reasons.

I have windows 10 on my HTPC & a tech notebook - I like it a lot.

I have windows 7 on three other PCs. I have the upgrade windows icon near the clock on the taskbar, but it's not forcing it on me - I wonder if that's a windows 8 thing.

Windows 10 as been offered as a free upgrade and that's coming to an end soon....like within 1.5 months. I plan on upgrading 2 more PCs before July 29 (today would be a good day for me).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

I wonder if you could uninstall an automatic update in the add/remove programs section in the control panel.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...install windows 10 upgrade automatic download

I personally avoid all things apple for a few different reasons.

It's a hidden file and I tried right clicking on the task bar and selecting custom and changed GWT (get windows ten) to don't show, didn't stop it at all.

I find apple equally annoying. I've tried Linux and you need a computer science degree to make that work.
I hate anything that tries to do things automatically that you can't turn off. This cloud stuff is maddening. Memory is cheap but they keep forcing the cloud on you. Your keep saying no and it keeps coming back. I've got a music player on my phone that I've set back to download only about 900 times.

I've heard that was happening to folks. But, I haven't seen it myself. Have you tried Linux? It's not 100% compatible with everything you may need your computer for. But, you can probably use it for 90% of everything you do. I have to keep Windows around for one application, Adobe Lightroom, well that and Microsoft Terminal Server Client so I can Remote Desktop to work. Otherwise, I'd run Linux exclusively.

You can try try it without installing it by putting it on a thumb drive and booting from it. USB 3 is best for that. Also, you can dual boot, which means you can choose Windows or Linux at boot.

Ubuntu is stable and a great choice, especially for Linux noobs.

Linux makes your computer yours again. I'm a huge fan, if you can't tell.

If you want to get rid of the update to win 10 that's bugging you to update, go to Gibson Research (I trust this site 100%) and download the appropriate ap

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

I never allowed the initial download (it's contained in one of the KB updates) that is sent out by MS. It is actually contained in two of those updates and you have to delete both (and that is a very involved process--not just a matter of uninstalling it)/never install them in the first place (which at this point is like closing the barn door after the horses escaped).

That's why you need to read each KB update (critical or otherwise) info before installing. Never do auto updates. Just let it download and then YOU choose which update to apply (or hide).

Last edited:
If you want to get rid of the update to win 10 that's bugging you to update, go to Gibson Research (I trust this site 100%) and download the appropriate ap

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

I never allowed the initial download (it's contained in one of the KB updates) that is sent out by MS. It is actually contained in two of those updates and you have to delete both (and that is a very involved process--not just a matter of uninstalling it)/never install them in the first place (which at this point is like closing the barn door after the horses escaped).

That's why you need to read each KB update (critical or otherwise) info before installing. Never do auto updates. Just let it download and then YOU choose which update to apply (or hide).

Thanks for the info I do have that never 10 all ready bookmarked sounds like the simplest way to block it. My concern is I have been reading that soon after the upgrades are complete MS is not going to support 7 or 8.1 like they did to XP, no updates or patches.
I have never had any problems with auto updates until this, so I'm probably hosed at this point.
The main reason MS wants this upgrade is it is able to mine much more data on it's users. They will use it to find all kinds of data and also for advertising (which I get way to much of now) and mining of personal data at a much higher level then is being done now.
Just wonder if there is going to be a backlash on this, but then again what can you do against a giant like MS.

I'm still running 7 and stopped the threat of 10 by stopping auto updates, so far so good.
(famous last words)

I hate to say it, but the Mac environment isn't much better in terms of "forced upgrades". They just do it more subtly - Apple does the "This OS is no longer supported" method of getting you to upgrade your operating system. Make no mistake...I am an Apple fan and user since 1990. I've had 5 Macs (still have 4 of them and they work perfectly), 3 iPods (still have 2 iPod Touch models) and just got the new iPhone SE. The problem with Apple is what has been in the news so much - software updates that are buggy - both on their computers as well as their iPads, iPhones etc. Apple releases betas of their Mac OS and iOS upgrades to select users in order to work out any issues, but then release the new software anyway. You've read about the new iPad Pro 9.7" model getting bricked by iOS 9.3.2. Read the reviews on the Apple Store site about Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.5 for more on Apple's failure to insure a problem-free experience when upgrading. I know that MS and Apple both have their issues, but problems are more prevalent when MS and Apple try to put too many features in their new operating systems. Apple is trying to merge Mac OS with iOS and they're failing at it. I've tried Mac OS 10.11.5 and reverted back to OS 10.6.8....then I tried OS 10.9.5 and reverted back to 10.6.8. Apple stopped supporting Mac OS 10.6 through 10.8 so there are no longer any security updates (or Apple software updates) for us. Google Chrome browser has followed Apple and won't support those OS versions any longer.

Sorry...I got carried away there :rolleyes:. I DO like Apple products...at least the products I currently own. But if I ever need to purchase new hardware I'll have to think long and hard about staying with Apple.

(Honey...where are you going with my soapbox?!?).

The End

I bought a new PC last year. It came with Windows 8, with a free upgrade to 10. I took the bait and did it. I very quickly started using Google Chrome as my browser. 10 was just weird and slowed things WAY down. Pammi uses Chrome for her school work, so when she needs to use my PC, it's easier for her to do so.

Thanks for the info I do have that never 10 all ready bookmarked sounds like the simplest way to block it. My concern is I have been reading that soon after the upgrades are complete MS is not going to support 7 or 8.1 like they did to XP, no updates or patches.

Well, they will support with critical updates (vulnerabilities, etc), just not program updates/upgrades. At least for 4-5 year after July. In fact, there's been talk of extending that July '16 date (unknown at this point though).

I'm still running 7 and stopped the threat of 10 by stopping auto updates, so far so good.
(famous last words)

Bob, I hope by that you mean you just stopped the automatic APPLYING of the update. You should allow the downloads but YOU can set it to ask you if you want to apply them. Just uncheck the ones you don't want/hide them and go with the rest.

The two KB you do NOT want to be installed are KB3035583 and KB2952664. If you've got those already applied and you don't want win10, go to the previously mentioned GRC website I gave.

Last edited:
The two KB you do NOT want to be installed are KB3035583 and KB2952664. If you've got those already applied and you don't want win10, go to the previously mentioned GRC website I gave.

Len, I don't see those two on the list and I reset the updates to Download but let me decide to install them. I'll see what happens next. It does appear that windows 10 is in here somewhere though because it says "Your upgrade to windows 10 is ready. Restart your computer now"

Last edited:
Len, I don't see those two on the list and I reset the updates to Download but let me decide to install them. I'll see what happens next. It does appear that windows 10 is in here somewhere though because it says "Your upgrade to windows 10 is ready. Restart your computer now"

google the KB's Rich but NOT on the MS sites.

For example:

http://askbobrankin.com/is_microsoft_forcing_windows_10_on_you.html

http://www.askwoody.com/2015/micros...nagging-patches-including-kb-3035583-2952664/

Last edited:
Yeah, it's nasty at this point the pop up box comes on and you can't close it, all I can do is drag it to the bottom of the screen so I can use my computer. I finally agreed to except a scheduled date and time and that stopped the pop up and also my shut down now just says "shut down" Not "shut Down and update".
Of course my scheduled date and time is 2:30am at which time I will be asleep and so will my computer. Ah shucks I missed my appointment.

It'll probably start when you start up again. "Missed appointment" won't mean a thing.

Did you try the GRC link to uninstall those prompts, etc?

I wish I would have read your post on the 21st Rich. This happened to my wife's laptop last Thursday and mine on the following Friday. When it happened to my wife's she called the 800 number for Microsoft Support in Belleview Washington. They were apologetic, polite and extremely professional and took care of each of our computers remotely, removing all the Windows 10 files and completely restoring Windows 8.1. Took about 45 minutes to an hour for each computer. They also blocked any future pop ups for Windows 10.

It'll probably start when you start up again. "Missed appointment" won't mean a thing.

Did you try the GRC link to uninstall those prompts, etc?

Thank you Len for this! I went to the GRC site to uninstall the prompts. Then I went looking at updates on my laptop and there was the KB3035583, so I deleted that one. I have not had the 'upgrade to Windows 10' appear on my laptop since I did this last night. You saved me from a lot of headaches to figure out how to stop Windows 10 from when it was going to force the upgrade.

Back