Help Identifying This Weber Grill for Possible Purchase? "8006"

ChrisRobinson

Good morning, all.

So glad to have found this group. I've finally decided to switch to gas grilling because I'll be able to grill more! Considering buying this used grill, but can't identify it. They want $50.00 for it. It appears to have all of the parts, but I only say about five "flavorizer bars(?) inside and now I worry some might be missing. Should have taken a pic of inside! Told them I'd let them know today. It's a resale store, so they don't do much accommodating: "You want it or not?" LOL!

Look familiar to anyone?

Were there some with 5 or 6 bars only?

Says "8006" as a number on the top near the dials.

Has wooden slats for tabletop.

Wondering how many BTUs it gets.

Would really appreciate the help!

Thanks.

magz29.jpg

Looks to be a 1000LX from the late 90s, should have 13 flavorizer bars and yes later on there were ones that look similar with only five bars, but those for the most part had solid Durawood shelves not slotted. The slats aren't wood but Durawood, made from recycled milk cartoons. Also looks like it's set up for natural gas not propane, by the wrong type of gas line coming off of it. But if you look at the right vertical frame bar you can see the scale sticker for a propane tank, but there is no mechanism to hang the tank on.
Look at the guy walking on the right side in his hand is a regulator, that's what should be attached to it if it is truly a propane grill. The serial # and information as to the type of gas it uses should be underneath the control knob plate.
Me, I wouldn't touch it, to many unknowns. But if you can find one that is intact they really are great grills and parts are available for them from Weber and other sources.

Looks to be Natural Gas and the frame may be rusted through, looks like bolt near front big wheel is exposed.

Chris, welcome to the forum. You will find lots of Weber gassers on Craigslist if this one does not work out for you.

Thanks. You're right, the it is rusted through at the legs. The body of the grill doesn't appear to be. The wheels have decayed away, too. I was told that it is outfitted to be either natural gas or propane and that they would switch the propane hose for me.

Thanks, Rich. Very helpful. Really wish I had taken pic of inside because I'm pretty sure I only saw 5 or 6 bars. I'm wondering about the possible other unknowns for fifty bucks? Do you think I'm better off just shopping Craigslist and paying more? Budget is a real consideration, but so is buying problems...

Thanks, Bob. I assumed I'd be buying a cheap low-end new grill until I saw this one and realized that maybe I can buy an inexpensive, better-quality one.

Sounds like this one is very problematic. Weber never made a grill that was outfitted for either natural gas or propane. To convert them, the entire control manifold has to be changed. Sounds like craigslist is your best bet. A little time and some advice here and you will have a great grill. Good Luck.

Also, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and to share. Many of us have rehabbed Genesis grills from Craigslist and it is very rewarding. My 20 year old Genesis 1000 is now beautiful and used every week.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bob. That settles it. I asked him about the hookup and he said he could replace it for me, but I kept saying that it didn't look like it could connect at the spot he was pointing to. He seemed a little confused about it. I'll shop Craigslist or new. On to the next one. Thanks, again.

By the way, "8006" is the part number of the porcelain enameled control panel. Because it's so prominently displayed, many people think "8006" is the grill model number when it's not. As Rich stated, the model number and serial number and BTU info is on a sticker on the frame on the right side of the grill.

Like Bob said Weber never made an LP/NG grill. But they did make a lot of grills like you're looking at. IMHO The 1000-3000 genesis grills are the best of that style of grill. With the thirteen flavorizer bars instead of five on the latter silver B grills.
Your big concern from where you live is rust, I know I grew up in Franklin Park. The firebox is aluminum so usually no issues there unless it had a really hot grease fire and warped the box, but the frames can be a problem so look closely at the frames. Almost all the parts that wear out are available and upgrades are available for the grates and flavorizer bars.
Take your time and find a good restorable grill and let us know. There is a lot of us that have restored these grills I've done about 7 0r 8. So any help you need just ask and someone who's been there and done that will be able to give you some good advice.
Welcome to the forum, it's a fun place.

I just acquired the same type grill for free (and have all my flavor bars). It does not have a tank. The model number on the underside is a little faded, but seems to say "21000", and googling images seems to confirm that is correct. (EDIT: after some more googling a little more, it's clearly a "Genesis 1000" type of Weber, if that matters.)

In various places, there are comments about "LP tanks", like how to not store a spare next to the grill. So is it safe to assume I need to acquire a regular ol' propane tank?

Here is my grill:

DF4ooms.jpg

Here is the connection:

c8LWK2Y.jpg

Here is a close up of the connection:

gZwkirG.jpg

Last edited:
Also, when I was getting it out of the bed of the truck, this little metal thingy fell off (probably - I suppose it could have been in the bed of the truck already and I hadn't noticed, but unlikely). I cannot figure out where it is supposed to go. I'll take any hints that anyone has.

fAu81WZ.jpg

FxGbzDy.jpg

You may want the mod to move this thread to the proper forum. So you have a Genesis 1000 there. Great grills. The little metal bracket is there to hold the manifold (thing that has the knobs you turn) so that it stays in it's proper position. It goes under the control panel.
Anyway this stuff should be in the main Weber Gas grill forum. Maybe Chris can move it and point you to the correct area. I don't have time today or I would post a photo of where it fits

Thanks, I can probably dumb out how to move it myself. And thanks for the tip on the bracket. I'll see if I can see where it goes now that I know where to look lol.

Back