Another Bread Creation

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
We've run out of room in the freezer (some really good sales recently--I've got 12 racks of b.b. in there ;) ) and I've run out of bread. I was looking for a quick one-loaf recipe. I could always halve my usual dutch oven /overnight loaves but I wanted something that was really quick.

And I found it. AND it uses beer! How perfect is that??

This is a "quick bread" recipe in that it uses baking powder and NO yeast (other than what may still be in the beer). I followed the directions/ingredients exactly except I only used 1/4C of butter over the top prior to baking.

After tasting, I found it had an exquisite flavour but in hindsight, would only use 1/8C of sugar (2T) instead of 1/4C (4T). Didn't really taste the beer aspect but I've been out of sorts lately and my"sense of taste" is somewhat dulled.

It is dense to a point (since it is a quick bread, it has a slight "biscuity" texture, not like our usual bread "fluffy" texture) but not a brick. Very moist and we got (well) into the loaf before I had a thought to take some pics/post it here. :rolleyes:

This loaf is so quick, you can start your oven heating up while you're mixing the ingredients. As there is NO proofing/rise time, literally the oven takes longer to heat up than it takes to mix up the ingredients and get it in the loaf pan ready for baking.

I used an 8x4 loaf pan and baked it at 375o for exactly one hour. Let it cool off for 1/2 hr and dad gum, from start to finish this one loaf wonder took 90 minutes from start to finish (heat up oven 15 min, bake for 60 min, cool down 15 min --30 min for me-- and EAT!)

There are dozens of variations people have used. Just read their comments and you'll find them all.

I'm not saying this is better than my usual Forkish versions but if you need a quick and extremely flavourful loaf, keep this one as a favourite. You will NOT be disappointed.

INGREDIENTS (one loaf using an 8x4 loaf pan)

3 cups flour (sifted) really important to sift this
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1⁄4 cup sugar (in hindsight, I would use 1/8C)
1 (12 ounce) can beer
1⁄2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will do just fine which is what I used--no boil over)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1)Mix dry ingredients and beer. DO NOT over mix, just till all is combined/a little flour left behind is just right
2)Pour into a greased loaf pan It will be very stiff and somewhat sticky--thats perfect.
3)Pour melted butter over mixture. (for softer crust, mix butter INTO batter during step (2) )
4)Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes. (I found 30 minutes to be perfect. You don't want this to be undercooked by cutting it too soon)

http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440

edit->I think one of the comments on that link says that the alcohol in the beer will "burn off" so it's not an issue. I always believed that but did a bit of research and it may NOT true. It seems after some testing, 4-78% of the alcohol REMAINED in some of the products tested. Even flaming booze (like in cherries jubilee) had the most alcohol left in the end product.

Other non-alcoholic fluids can be used if you so desire. For the record, I felt no effects after consuming half the loaf ;) other than an extreme case of self-satisfaction (and a full belly).

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/AlcoholEvap.htm

Last edited:
Bread looks amazing Len. Thanks for sharing that recipe. Don't have a lot of spare time right now so I'll keep this bread in mind, probably sooner than later.

Looks great Len.
I've made beer bread since 1979 when I found the recipe in Mother Earth News.
I always go the whole 1/2 cup of butter. :)
Here's an apple cider beer loaf I made a few years back:

IMGP2935.JPG

Same recipe Bob ;) Going to try some of the variations next time. Funny how what's new to one person (me) is old hat for someone else (you).

Last edited:

Back