Horrible Smithfield ribs from Walmart--beware!!

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I just smoked 2 racks of baby backs purchased from Walmart yesterday. I followed the normal procedures and my regular dry rub. 275* for about 4:45. Passed probe test and bend test.

FLUNKED taste test badly. So fatty, gamey, and just bad!!! Awful texture too. The pork flavor was exceedingly strong. ICK!

Brought them back to Walmart for a full refund still warm from the smoker.

I doubt user error, so what happened?!?!

I will never buy Smithfield ribs again.

What a disappointment.

I have done Walmart Smithfield St Louis cut spares on several occasions (3-2-1 method)and never had a problem and turned out great. I usually buy the tree packs of spares from Sams, but occasionally get lazy and do not feel like trimming, so get the already cut St Louis from Walmart.

I realize you got Baby Backs, but so far the results of the Walmart Smithfield spares have been good.

Arent tnose the brined/enhanced ribs that have a weird pale color to them? I cant get over the color so wont buy them

I bet they're enhanced, I was at Wallyworld this past Saturday and both butts and ribs from Smithfield had the " Always Tender " label and if you read the ingredients labels it states they're injected with X% solution, the one labeled " All Natural " are the ones you want, even Foodlion has enhanced except for the St. Louis cut spares,

Just remember, the "All Natural" moniker means nothing to the USDA. Just a word to the wise, nor is pork graded like beef. "Prime" doesn't apply to pork products.
Have had weird results from a lot of the Smithfield products, I've learned to avoid them. Typically the prepacked things are too salty for me, lots of folks seem to like them but, they're not for me.

I bet they're enhanced, I was at Wallyworld this past Saturday and both butts and ribs from Smithfield had the " Always Tender " label and if you read the ingredients labels it states they're injected with X% solution, the one labeled " All Natural " are the ones you want, even Foodlion has enhanced except for the St. Louis cut spares,

I'm guessing you are correct, but will need to confirm. Walmart took them back without any issues. They almost had the texture of being boiled and the meat had a very strong (much stronger than usual) taste that was very off-putting. Sucks after spending hours in prep and smoking them only to disappoint my family who all said they tasted bad. Lesson learned...

Come to think of it, I didn't not change the foil wrap on the water pan from the prior cook because it seemed to be very clean. I wonder if that could have somehow affected the taste?

Did they smell ok when you unwrapped them? I've seen cold foods abandoned by shoppers put back in the cold case.

Did they smell ok when you unwrapped them? I've seen cold foods abandoned by shoppers put back in the cold case.

They smelled okay, or at least I did not notice any bad odor from them or from the bag. I emailed Smithfield to ask about any injections or enhancements but no response yet.

I don't recall ever getting Smithfield ribs, but I used to buy their bacon from BJs (3 # for ~$12 is, unfortunately, a decent price these days). The last time I bought it, one package was almost entirely fat (like a 1/4" ribbon of meat on each slice in the package) and the other two were nearly as bad. I know bacon is fatty, but that was ridiculous. Cooking that one pack got me over a cup of liquid fat.

99% of the time, the Smithfield ribs I see are 'self basting' (aka: enhanced, brined, cured, etc). To me, they are salty and taste VERY hammy.

I do not change the foil wrap on my water pan every time and it has never created an issue. I just dump the water and leave the pan wrapped if the foul is still intact.
Mike

99% of the time, the Smithfield ribs I see are 'self basting' (aka: enhanced, brined, cured, etc). To me, they are salty and taste VERY hammy.

BINGO! This is a precise description of my results. Salty and hammy. Who knew? :confused:

Almost all of walmart pork products are enhanced, even their pork chops that look like they've been butchered on site. I know because I was on a mission to make some sausage and a super walmart was an easy stop along my errand route. I was desperate for any pork. Never would I think their pork chops were enhanced.

Read the labels closely. Don't buy from them.

I have done Walmart Smithfield St Louis cut spares on several occasions (3-2-1 method)and never had a problem and turned out great. I usually buy the tree packs of spares from Sams, but occasionally get lazy and do not feel like trimming, so get the already cut St Louis from Walmart.

I realize you got Baby Backs, but so far the results of the Walmart Smithfield spares have been good.

Same here. I've done 4-5 racks of the Smithfield St. Louis spares and had excellent results. Don't think I'll be trying their baby backs though after reading this thread.

It's all well and good, but good luck finding ANY pork that isn't enhanced. I can't find it anywhere, whether it be the grocery store, Walmart etc. Maybe the 3 packs of ribs at Sam's are ok? I've basically decided to live with it. We've got a butcher, whose pork I THINK is un-enhanced but I'm not sure.

Enhanced ribs aren't all that bad. People use them on the competition circuit all the time and get great scores. The big issue is adding a salty rub to an already salty product.

Also, how far in advance did you put the rub on your ribs? I've noticed if I put it on too far in advance (night before) the ribs tend to have a hammier taste than when I put the rub on right before I put them on the smoker.

Just a thought. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with those ribs.

HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... I cooked a couple racks of ribs last weekend (see my "Just one of those days" tread in the photo gallery) and was pretty confused at what was going on with them. The ribs NEVER bent correctly, even after almost 5 hours and the texture was just ODD. The taste was pretty good, but not what they should have been for the work that i put into them.

I am looking at google images and im pretty sure they were Smithfield. Maybe im NOT crazy?

rb

HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... I cooked a couple racks of ribs last weekend (see my "Just one of those days" tread in the photo gallery) and was pretty confused at what was going on with them. The ribs NEVER bent correctly, even after almost 5 hours and the texture was just ODD. The taste was pretty good, but not what they should have been for the work that i put into them.

I am looking at google images and im pretty sure they were Smithfield. Maybe im NOT crazy?

rb

OR i am looking for an excuse for my inadequacy with the smoker... :wsm:

rb

Back