mini chimney

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
Yesterday I finally broke down and bought a mini chimney from my local orchard supply. Regular price as I have never seen them on sale locally. Bought it more for being able to store in my charcoal ga. Will see how that works down the road.

It's handy. I use mine all the time, 2/3 full of KBB, to start the 14 WSM loaded with unlit lump for minion method. Or I'll top it off completely for grilling on the SJS.

yea, i usually have no problem using the larger one using less briquetts for the smaller cooks. on one of my large ones i actually switched the coal grate so the middle points down. but thought its time to get the mini and try it out. heck, i may actually like it !

Sometimes I'll use my mini chimney to scoop up leftover coals & put in the regular chimney to re-use.

George - I did that to my first regular sized chimney.... pointed the center down... that one finally gave out & I got a new one. I saved the old thinking I might fix it

I had one of those cheaper chimneys that the grate was giving out. So I just cut a piece of expanded metal and jammed it down on top of the old grate and it has worked fine so far. I just don't give up on stuff I spent money on till it crujbles !

I had one of those cheaper chimneys that the grate was giving out. So I just cut a piece of expanded metal and jammed it down on top of the old grate and it has worked fine so far. I just don't give up on stuff I spent money on till it crujbles !

That's a great idea George! Wish I'd have thought of that. I happen to have some scrap expanded metal lying around.....

I bought the Mini Weber chiminey and Weber Smoky Joe a few months back and it gives me the right load amount of Kingsford Charcoal for my WSJ.

Another benefit the Charcoal lights-up in around 10 Minutes and I can pour the lit charcoal into the WSJ with one-hand without getting burned.

Last edited:
finally broke down and ordered one of these, plan on taking it camping and using it with the wsm and jumbo joe....i rarely if ever fill the full size version, I assume it holds half of the full version

Just got one in the mail today too, I take the SJ camping and find the bigger one takes up too much room.

Just got one in the mail today too, I take the SJ camping and find the bigger one takes up too much room.

mine showed up, gave it try with my jumbo joe...loaded up full with kingsford it covers the charcoal grate about 75% with them spaced out some...enough to cook burgers and hotdogs ...would probably add a little more charcoal if searing steaks though or for something that needs cooked longer, it's perfect size for camping so that was my main goal...I see a lot of people using this size chimney for the go anywhere charcoal and lodge sportsman grill size grill

Back