Q220 Not getting hot...and we're camping

Scott P.

TVWBB Super Fan
We are getting ready to eat dinner here at the campground and my Weber Q220 won't fully light. The grill worked fine last year when we last used it.

It is hooked up to a full 20 lb tank. I only get slight flame from the longer gas ports at 12 and 6 o'clock. If I wipe over it with the wire brush, I see more flames fromthe regular holes, but they go out quickly.

I already tried turning the tank valve slowly, but that did not help. I disconnected and reconnected the hose before doing so. Now it won't even stay lit.

Is there anything I can do here?

Q220 owner here, can't hurt to review the larger tank lighting instructions, just in case a small step might have gotten missed. Have you tried a small disposable tank yet?? I believe they were designed originally for that tank and if that works then you can go from there-- This kind of stuff always happens when you are counting on it to work. Good luck..

My neighbor used it a month ago on a camping trip. It worked great for him the four times he cooked on it. He couldn't get the small tank to work, but it worked with a big tank.

make sure the tank is turned on about 5 minutes before trying to light the q. the q valve must be shut off first. yer tripping the safety valve.
also at least once a year i take a small drill bit and clean out the holes. it makes a very big differance.

I haven't found a fix yet. I tried the methods mentioned above to no luck. I just haven't had the time to call Weber. That is my next step.

That was Weber's diagnosis as well. $50 later, one is being shipped to me. Not exactly a great way to start the week.

Its interesting because my q220 is approximately 6 years old and the regulator is just fine. Wonder what the cause is of the failures. Leaking/cracking diaphragms ?

I specifically asked what I could do to keep this from happening again. All she said was the standard responses of of not leaving the gas on with the valve off too long, not using an overfilled tank, etc. I bought it used off of craigslist, so I do not know the manufacture date. But it is in like new condition. It even came with the wheeled carrying bag.

I had a similar issue a few years back with my Q220 and I took the burner out and even gave it a high pressure water blast on one end of the Q tube, after turning it upside down, all holes were dripping water so I thought....maybe nothing to do with burner.
Eventually I gave up and called Weber Australia and they came out a few days later and found that there was actually an ants nest in the burner tube. This got me confused and I explained my fault finding actions and he said that it wasn't fully blocking the tube but enough to interrupt enough clear gas passage and is why there was enough room for water to push past. Didn't seem to be any ants around...maybe a temporary haven during a wet weather pattern.

Cheers

Davo

Back