Fire Up Game Day Tailgating with New Customized Collegiate Grills from Weber

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Fire Up Game Day Tailgating with New Customized Collegiate Grills from Weber
Weber-Stephen Products LLC Enters Licensing Agreement with Six NCAA Division I Universities

PALATINE, Ill., May 10, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Weber-Stephen Products LLC, the world's leading manufacturer of outdoor gas and charcoal grills, is showing school spirit this football season. The popular, portable Weber® Q® 1200™ gas grill will be available in customized collegiate themes reflecting six leading universities: Auburn University, Florida State University, University of Michigan, University of Nebraska, The University of Texas and University of Wisconsin.

To enhance the experience of the 96 percent of grill owners who grill on game day*, Weber worked with IMG College to develop a licensing and marketing program for this custom grill series.

The Weber® Q® University grill series features a custom lid reflecting each university's signature colors and logos. The custom Weber® Q® 1200™ grills will be available on www.weber.com/QU and in select bookstores beginning in the summer of 2016 for $299.

To introduce the new Weber® Q® University grill series, Weber and IMG College will partner in kicking off the season with a series of tailgate activations introducing the new grills. These activations will be hosted at the following games:

Sunday, September 4 – University of Notre Dame at The University of Texas (Austin, Texas)
Saturday, September 10 – Charleston Southern at Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL)
Saturday, September 17 – University of Oregon at University of Nebraska (Lincoln, Nebraska)
Saturday, September 24 – Louisiana State University at Auburn University (Auburn, Alabama)
Saturday, October 1 – University of Wisconsin at University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Michigan)

The grills feature 189 square inches of cooking space, porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates for perfect sear marks, easy-to-start push button ignition, a built-in lid thermometer and two handy folding work tables.

The Weber® Q® University grills are easy to transport and set up with a Weber® Q® portable cart (MSRP: $79.99). The innovative cart features a simple mechanism that allows you to quickly set up the stand ready to support the grill. For easy transport, the cart folds down with the grill attached and can simply be wheeled like a suitcase.

When tailgating season comes to an end, grillers can keep their grill in perfect condition all year long with the Weber® Q® 100/1000™ series gas grill cover (MSRP: $17.99). The fitted, heavy-duty grill cover has built-in elastic side bands and a front draw cord that keeps the grill protected in any environment.

For more information about the Weber® Q® University grill series, and to sign up for more news, visit www.weber.com/QU.

About Weber: Weber-Stephen Products LLC, headquartered in Palatine, Ill., is the world's premier manufacturer of charcoal, gas and electric grills, grilling accessories and award-winning cookbooks and mobile applications. In 1952, founder George Stephen sparked a backyard revolution with his invention of the Weber® kettle. More than 60 years later, the privately held company's products are sold worldwide at select national home centers, specialty hardware stores, patio stores and other retail outlets. Weber's social communities include www.facebook.com/weberbbq, www.instagram.com/webergrills, www.twitter.com/webergrills, www.pinterest.com/webergrills and www.youtube.com/user/GrillwithWeber. Visit www.weber.com for more information.

Waiting for an Alabama grill. Until then I made my own with a Q200. Still trying to figure out how to put a logo somewhere on it.

WOW!!!!

They have been talking about this for AT LEAST 10 years. Old Erik and I were trying to figure all the color combos, how to get them on there with out burning and flaking off, all the licensing with all the universities.. Looks like they finally decided to move on it.

:rolleyes: I'm thinking with this, the 14, phone apps for controlling/monitoring temps, etc. I was about 10 years ahead of time with Weber.

Looking forward to some good college ball this year. I tailgate a couple times a year at Northwestern games. Usually my gas Go-Anywhere.

Also.. the idea of smokers with options: colors, grates, temp probes, etc. Big long list to configure them anyway you wanted like a car... Umm.. until I pointed out the logistical nightmare of fulfilling orders and tracking parts lists and spares for customers. it's doable for sure, but their heads exploded along with my suggestion of Bluetooth thermometers and the walked away. LOL. Still cracks me up.

Just keep the grill fired up. If anyone looks too close, they will singe their eyebrows.

I still have not figured out why just college.
maybe the nfl told weber to take a hike ? Or the cost would be prohibative ?

I still have not figured out why just college.
maybe the nfl told weber to take a hike ? Or the cost would be prohibative ?

Licensing and those costs aside, at the time the big thing were the colors (the true Pantone colors) and logos and having them stay "clean" and not coming off or changing with heat. Certain other logistics were the management of the color schemes, the stocking of all the different combinations and.. in what quantities? Not to mention the possibility of an update of a logo, color/mascot of the team. It's a monumental task. While certainly possible, they weren't ready to tackle the job.

Back