Traveling with my 18.5" WSM

MickGeo

With summer just around the corner, I can't wait to sit by the lake enjoying some smoked meat. Unfortunately traveling with my WSM 18" it not the easiest task, especially in a van with a wife, three young children & a dog. I carted it up to my family's vacation home on Crystal Lake in Northern Michigan last summer but it was quite the hassle. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for packing up & traveling with my WSM? I wish I would have saved the box it came in.

Thanks.

Mick

Go to UHaul and get one of their double wall wardrobe boxes for $11.95. Box dimensions: 24" x 21" x 48" (W x L x H) That should work.

I don't transport my WSM often, but when I do, I use 3 4' long bungee cords looped around the legs with the hooks on the lid handle. That keeps all the sections cinched in tight to prevent any damage. If necessary, the factory cover can be (carefully) pulled over the whole thing to prevent any grime on it from transferring to anything else.

Another option would be to smoke at home & reheat at the lake. That way you can totally relax and enjoy not having to fiddle with the smoker.

Or, maybe invest in a 14.5?

Last edited:
I bought a 14.5 with travel in mind. It is easy to take just about anywhere. I really don't miss not having more room. But many might.
Rays UHaul box seems like a great suggestion!

I'd run a ratchet strap from each leg to the top handle making sure that one of them was over the door. Then I'd toss the whole thing either on the roof, or on a hitch carrier.

I'd run a ratchet strap from each leg to the top handle making sure that one of them was over the door. Then I'd toss the whole thing either on the roof, or on a hitch carrier.

That's basically what I do with the bungees. A strap would be more stable, I suppose, but unless you were laying it on its side, it would probably be overkill. Given the possibility of one or more sections getting pulled out of round, I'd recommend keeping the unit upright during transit.

The first time I took my WSM anywhere, I made the mistake of separating it. I was using my brother's pick-up, and found that the center section juuuust fit under the bed cover (I taped cardboard to the top and bottom of it to prevent scratching the bed or the WSM). Likewise, I clamped the lid to the base, and that fit under as well. Unfortunately, things shifted a bit during the ride to our campsite and the middle section got tweaked a bit. I still haven't gotten it perfectly round yet, but it's good enough.

I got a wash tub that the weber 18.5 just fits in. I use some heavy duty rubber straps or you could use a small ratchet strap and run it from one wash tub handle thru the top smoker handle and to the other wash tub handle. It works great. You can set the smoker on top of the wash tub turned upside down to set it up higher when using or inside the wash tub if its windy.

Last edited:
If I was going to a family owned vacation home I'd probably just buy another one and not deal with hauling it back and fourth.

Old thread but figured I would Chime in. I'm wanting to do some smoking this summer when we are camping so instead of bringing my 18" WSM im going to go buy the 18' Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe.

Anybody else use these for travel smokers? Do they do a good job smoking ribs, chicken etc or are they more meant for quick grills?

Jumbo Joe is a grill. While you can smoke on it, it wont be ideal. If size is a concern and your purchasing something new any way. Look for a 14" WSM if your wanting to smoke but haul smaller equipment. They can be found hear and there on sale at wal mart for fairly cheap.

Back