Overnight butt, HH brisket, starting tonight - Brisket Rub Recommendations?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Good morning TVWB!

I'm having an end of season (end of peak anyway) pool party tomorrow, and pulled pork & brisket has been requested.

A butt rub (for Jane) was used last time & it's being used again, but I've only cooked one brisket (and boiled a corned beef, butt that don't count).

Should I make up 2 batches of #5 sauce, or maybe I'll make a batch of #5 for the butt & bastardized piedmont for the brisky?

Any help with sure-fire brisket recipe/sauce would be appreciated. ....I'm planning on making burnt ends too, I haven't made them yet. :yum:

You might try this for a rub.

If you have time make a couple sauces. Always nice to have a choice. Include fruit (a juice reduction, preserves, dried fruit cooked in the sauce to soften then puréed in, etc.) in one of them. It works so well with meat and smoke.

Sweet! I have all the ingredients on hand other than sugar in the raw...

When I read 'chili powder' on this board I'm not thinking tomatoes & beans.... I have some McCormick chili powder, should I use that? I have other dried peppers (habs, guajillo, chili de arbol), should I use them instead?

EDIT: nevermind - I scrolled down & found AB's chili recipe in the link you provided..,. thanks again

McCormicks chili powder is pretty flat flavor. I keep some decent ancho chili powder from the mexican market or some ground New Mexico red chili around as my "basic" red chili.

All of the rest of designer chilis are really personal taste. My wife and I and my daughter have very different opinions about any given chilis---heat, bitterness, flavor etc.

Also, you need to be mindful of the cayenne pepper in a rub or sauce when you are using chili powders as the heat from the chili can vary a lot even for the same type of chili. Taste it and dial in the proportions. take notes.

Checkout a Bobby Flay cookbook from the library and you can get some good ideas on which chilis work together well. If you mix the wrong ones together you can get some ugly flavor profiles but mixing 2 or 3 complimentary chilis is a wonderful thing.

I am probably too late but this is a brisket rub that I have been using.

1T gran garlic
1T onion powder
2tsp Black pepper Whole and fresh ground
2tsp ancho chili powder
1tsp cumin seeds fresh ground.

I kept it pretty simple ala texas style. Actually way to complex for Texas, salt and pepper.

Kosher salt is sprinkled on the brisket solo as you would before eating a cooked piece of meat. Thanks to Kevin.

I do rub with Worcestershire sauce prior to dry rub but also have used mustard. I like the Worcestershire.

Mark

hi mk, I was checking yours out earlier
icon_wink.gif
, maybe I'll try it next time. Thanks

If you're doing two racks of butts, I understand doing the brisket afterwards. However, no matter what brisket rub you use, and Kevin's definately has the stuff I'd use, the brisket bark will be much tastier if basted by butts cooking on the top rack.

I've only done it once, but that's my plan from now on. The other day, I sliced the point, and the end slice was the best piece of brisket I've ever put in my mouth. No sauce, no sir, no way...that good. If you ever try it, just use foil and/or trimmed fat to protect the part of the flat that hangs past the pan.

the butts are off the menu but the 13# brisket is in the fridge. I'll be mixing up the rub after marinating the chef
icon_smile.gif

Still going HH

Back