Stick burning in the WSM?

MacPete

TVWBB Member
Hope everyone had a Happy 1st, and 4th of July. (Sorry Norway, don't know your holiday schedule
icon_smile.gif
)
My neighbour asked me to clear some wood from behind his shed, which has been sitting there for a loong time. Turns out its an old apple tree he cut down and was using in his fireplace. He's since converted to gas, and I was happy to take the wood away. Nothing bigger than maybe 3-1/2 - 4" diameter.
Any thoughts on using this to fuel the WSM? I've also got an offset Charbroil that might get some love with these sticks.
Thanks y'all.

probably won't work, it's not designed for full combustion; rather, it's designed for slow burns.

Burning sticks wouldn't burn cleanly and would produce creosote/soot.

Just be happy you got lots and lots of good apple wood to use with your charcoal.

Well ... since it seems to be well-seasoned, it should work as the main fuel.

Creosote shouldn't be a problem with well-seasoned wood.

Of course, you could char a bunch of it in your offset essentially creating psuedo-lump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
probably won't work, it's not designed for full combustion; rather, it's designed for slow burns.

Burning sticks wouldn't burn cleanly and would produce creosote/soot.

Just be happy you got lots and lots of good apple wood to use with your charcoal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so true!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:

Creosote shouldn't be a problem with well-seasoned wood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to be clear, if we're talking about a wsm or any other charcoal smoker that smolders fuel in an oxygen-deprived environment, the above comments couldn't be any further from the truth. The wsm is a charcoal smoker.

MacPete, regarding the apple you've come across, if it's very old, as in the bark is falling off and what's under is showing signs of starting to rot, I wouldn't use it for fueling the offset OR for smoking in your wsm. I've done it before in my first offset and the smoke was not sweet like good would is, especially fruitwood. Some describe over seasoned wood as adding a "dirty" taste to the meat.

IF it was seasonea and stored right there no problem using it as smoke wood in a stick burner ! But as a primary fuel in the WSM IMO NO just a few pieces on ther on or in the coals !

But if it has began to rot and was stored on the bround not covered for a while them NO it make the food taste like crapola .

Iam a vet stick burner but new to the WSM but the above holds true IMO . I season wood like that for about 4 months outside then move to the inside of my garage along a wall if iam gona use it to smoke with . keeping inside like that IMO having done it a lot its good for yrs kept inside . I doubt you would get creasote but you would get a foul taste on molded /rotted wood left to cure outside that my 2 cents if it worth that .
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Seems to me you could split an armfull of logs either once or twice and see if it is rotted. Use a bandsaw to cut the splits into 3-4" lengths.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:

Creosote shouldn't be a problem with well-seasoned wood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just to be clear, if we're talking about a wsm or any other charcoal smoker that smolders fuel in an oxygen-deprived environment, the above comments couldn't be any further from the truth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That far eh?
icon_wink.gif
How so?

Seasoning (ie drying) significantly removes the creosote forming chemicals through evaporation or oxidation.

Any remaining chemicals will volatilize into the smoke. But the smoke must cool below 250º in order for the creosote condensation can form.

The WSM is a short chamber, leaving little "flue" length for condensation to occur, especially when compared to a stove or fireplace.

If you're running 225º~250º with dry wood, it would seem that the conditions for the formation of creosote would be minimal. Above 250º, it would seem unlikely.

Some noted Pitmasters use more than just a little green fruitwood, so the formation of creosote does not seem to be an issue for them.

Or have I missed something?

Personly no matter who the pitmaster is that does it . I would not use green wood to smoke with fruit wood or what have you ! But YMMV . Everyone has there way a doing things. Thats whats makes this addiction so interesting .
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:

Creosote shouldn't be a problem with well-seasoned wood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just to be clear, if we're talking about a wsm or any other charcoal smoker that smolders fuel in an oxygen-deprived environment, the above comments couldn't be any further from the truth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That far eh?
icon_wink.gif
How so?

Seasoning (ie drying) significantly removes the creosote forming chemicals through evaporation or oxidation.

Any remaining chemicals will volatilize into the smoke. But the smoke must cool below 250º in order for the creosote condensation can form.

The WSM is a short chamber, leaving little "flue" length for condensation to occur, especially when compared to a stove or fireplace.

If you're running 225º~250º with dry wood, it would seem that the conditions for the formation of creosote would be minimal. Above 250º, it would seem unlikely.

Some noted Pitmasters use more than just a little green fruitwood, so the formation of creosote does not seem to be an issue for them.

Or have I missed something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forget the creosote. If you're convinced you can fuel your wsm with wood, just give it a try and provide pics. Just don't cheat by leaving the door open. I'm pretty sure that my wood chunks don't provide any BTU's unless they're on fire, though.

Wow! Thank you all for weighing in on this, some good advise all around.
Not sure I want to risk a full meal on sticks alone, would be more prudent to use them as chunks it seems. If I do go ahead, I'll provide photos, because as we learned in class "if there are no pictures, it never happened"
icon_smile.gif

Worse case, they'll go nice in my outdoor firepit on a cool evening. Whenever that is... as we endure day 4 of 30+C and high humidity here in the Toronto Area.

If I ever came into a bunch of smoking wood, I'd probably make my own charcoal. I've seen directions for doing that with a barrel, and it doesn't sound too hard.

Back