Okay I'm sold! Going to make a 26" Performer

Cliff Peerson

TVWBB Member
First let me say I have learned so much being on this forum. Nothing better than having your wife, kids, or grandkids ask if you will cook up some ribs on the weekend. I purchased a WSM almost two years ago and everything I know and have learned has been due to this website and fine people like you all.

I took my daughters 18" kettle when she moved out because she was cooking for more people. I gave her my 22" at the time. Now that I've been way more involved cooking and smoking I miss having a better, bigger kettle. Since it's just me and the wife I sometimes think I could smoke something on a large kettle and be fine. It would be easier to set up and get under way. I've been talking with family about the new Performers but keep reading post about others hard decision on whether to get a 22 or 26 inch model.

I've also read so many post from many of you that would love to see a 26" Performer Kettle, and that you would purchase one in a heart beat if Weber provided it. So, I've told my family instead of a New Performer for Father's Day or Birthday I would instead prefer a less expensive 26 inch Premium Kettle. My plan is to use it for the measurements I need to create the cart for it. I really like the idea of having the space and doing some nice indirect cooks on it along with high heat grilling.

Not sure how much time this will take or when I will even get the 26" Kettle but thought heh, at least post your plans and see what others think. You just might gleam some good information when it comes to designing and making this cart. I'm going to try and make the unit look authentic as if Weber made it. Was thinking of getting the badges used on the original Performer and mounting them on mine. Also was going to purchase the One Touch start system and install that as well. The only thing I would change is the wire rack seems like an obstacle so I was going to make the side panels, lower cross braces, shelf, and top out of some nice wood. The top would be wood also and we have a piece of granite when our kitchen was done in our house. I would make a nice insert to act as a hot pad or work surface. We had that slab in the garage for 10 years might as well put it to use.

I also figured I would use the wheels from the 26" like the Performer cart and then just buy casters for the other side. Purchase approximately 3 or 4 of the Kingsford Charcoal containers that have a lid that seals for much storage. Two for charcoal two more for two types of wood chunks. The cart should handle it since it will be wider and longer than the original Performer. In my mind I see no obstacles but one, how to actually mount the kettle to the tubular frame. I will be making some sort of bracket that is most likely bolted to the kettle which will have mounting holes which mounts like the original Performer. Wouldn't it be something if the SCG hinge system fit the 26 inch Kettle!

So, what do you all think. I'm not trying to start a business of making Kettle carts for 26 inch Weber Kettles. If anything I hope not to upset Weber or get in trouble for copying a design. I'm just a very hands on type of guy that loves a project and I think this would be a nice one to tackle. I will post pictures and let everyone know when it is underway. Thanks for any input, Cliff :blueperformer: 26 inch on the way!

Last edited:
Cliff, I don't fiddle with the extra step of photobucket for this site but, I upgraded my old carriage with a cypress deck and second kettle(18.5) and happy to send pictures or Rusty can post if he has time, I shared them with him some time back.
I'm over six feet tall and raised the height with bigger wheels and pipe in the old frame screwed through the original tube, this is all still this seasons "hot rodding" but, the cypress table weathered winter well enough (covered, loosely) if I had to do it all over again I would have been very happy with doing it using a 26! The extra kettle gives a lot of more than anticipated extra needed space. A 26/18 combination would be pretty good too. Get in touch with Jason at "Unknown BBQ" for hinges for whatever you decide, it's a very convenient piece of equipment!
Come to think of it, I think if I had it all to do over again, I would do a double kettle 26/22.5 and a second carriage with a 22.5 WSM and the 18.5 with maybe a single side burner. Ooh, and a beer dispenser on both with chilled frosty mugs, bourbon and scotch kegs.........

Last edited:
Tim, I'm 6'3" myself. I figured this project would allow me to configure the cart to my liking. I've already been talking with some people on getting pipe and having it bent to the dimensions I need. Once the pipe is bent I'll figure out the necessary holes needed to mount bracing and table top. I'm wondering just how much table area would be enough. I would like to keep the dimensions reasonable. The table top will be wider for sure since I'm using a 26 inch Kettle. I figure the frame to run about one foot longer. That would keep the whole project dimensions relative to what a Performer looks like

Reading more post I've also seen the Mini Ranch Kettle conversion. Makes me wonder if I should call this project the Mini Ranch Performer! Definitely need the table space. Since I have a 18" WSM, which has no table, I cannot get a Kettle also with no table. That's why building this 26" Performer just made sense. I will have a nice size Kettle with a big table for both the Kettle and WSM. If you are able to ever post pics of your setup I would be glad to see them.

Sounds like you got most of it figured out. The challenge will be securing the kettle to the cart, but I am sure you will figure something out. eReplacement parts is a good place to get the weber badges and such. look forward to seeing the progress. Take lots of pictures.

Like your ideas, I've built a couple of carts one for my mini out of an old charbroil frame and a utility cart out of a silver B frame. My thinking has been a 26 kettle fitted into a performer style cart with room for my 18.5 WSM on the back. Going to watch this tread so keep us posted.

Dustin you are correct. In my mind I can figure out how it will look in more than one way. The hardest part I haven't wrapped my head around yet is actually mounting the kettle to the cart. I'm sure I'll come up with something. As mentioned earlier I want people to see it and think it's just another performer but then again not. Since I don't have a performer now when this build is complete I will have to find someone with a performer so pics can be taken to show the size difference. Like many pics when there isn't something to compare too you don't realize what you are looking at.

And yes, I plan on many pictures because I want others to benefit from this project. Both the good and the bad so others can learn as well. I've learned so much from others on this sight seeing what they have done it's only fair to share what I'm doing on this project.

Rich, I also was thinking about a cart to carry a kettle and my 18.5 WSM but I was having a hard time coming up with a plan. At the time I was going to use a 22 inch kettle but now I'm convinced I need to go 26 inch. I think the having the bigger kettle for indirect cooks is a plus. I'm also impressed with the Craycort cast iron grate. Would love to have griddle attachments to cook bacon, eggs, and pancakes. Also think cooking burgers on the griddle will provide a much juicer burger. I hope to get things rolling soon. I'll keep everyone posted.

Since I don't have a performer now when this build is complete I will have to find someone with a performer so pics can be taken to show the size difference. Like many pics when there isn't something to compare too you don't realize what you are looking at

Well Cliff if you get it built we might have to get together for a photo shoot. I've got two performers and just up the road in Browns Valley.

Good luck with the build. look forward to hearing how it goes

Dustin that sounds like a plan. I went to the new Green Acres Store in Rocklin to get some measurements of the Performer. Wanted to measure tube size of the legs, height, and length. All to gauge how big I need to go to fit the 26 inch kettle. I also saw the 26 inch kettle. First time I've seen one. I like the size. It will work much better. I cooked 3 racks of ribs today on my 18 WSM and I rolled them like I usually do. Looks like a can get 3 racks on the 26 inch Kettle laying flat and still do indirect.

Planning to the same thing myself, Cliff. Mine won't be a Weber look alike, though. My brother-in-law can get me a top cut out out of sheet metal. I was thinking of 26"x48" overall with a 24" hole cut into one end. I could then bolt in my 26 and use a lid hinge. I'm going to play around with some cardboard, first, though, to make sure that isn't too small.

BD

Bill that sounds great. I look forward to seeing what you do and how it looks. I'm hoping to get my project started soon. Not sure I'm need the hinge modification. Time will tell if the lid gets hard to handle. If so I'm may put the hinge on so it easier to deal with. Since the kettle will be mounted to a cart or table we won't have to worry about the kettle tipping over.

Well it's been a long time since I talked about my Weber 26 Performer. I've been extremely busy working. When I have free time I've been trying to figure out how to build this cart and kettle setup. It is finally coming around a nd will share photos once I figure out how to post them. I purchased a 26 inch kettle well over a month ago and haven't used it yet! I decided I'll break it in once the cart is complete and ready to go.

I wound up making most of the cart out of wood. The pictures I have show steps in the process. I owe Jim Lewis some thanks for giving me a suggestion to check out Habitat for Humanity Restore Warehouse where you can find various things discounted. As you recall I was going to make this 26 inch performer look like a factory job. When I started checking on pipe and getting it bent the prices quoted to me were scary. Having said that I probably spent that much money or more. But I purchased many tools to do the job also which don't count to the cost for the cart.

The cart uses baseball bat blanks purchased from the local wood working store. While at "Restore" I saw these two stainless steel grab rails that were 4 foot long. I told my wife those are perfect for the rails to mount the grill and table top. So I designed my Performer around the two rails. The cart should be done in a week or two. All design and fabrication is done. Now just sanding, staining, sealing. Also gluing it all together. As I post bits and pieces I will share what products and my approach to making the cart.

Jim, I know you mentioned butcher block didn't sound like a good idea. I agree for many locations weather conditions would be to harsh. But I'm in a very dry and mild climate. The cart will be under cover. We'll see how it works out. I may be building a new cart in a few years. More go come. This weekend I'll figure out how to insert pics. I have many photos and want to share in case someone want to build one similar.

Last edited:
I'm posting one pic to get a handle on adding images.

DSC03089_zpsxpuwlyz5.jpg

I would like the photo to show instead of the link if possible. The pic shown is finished mock-up and fabrication work. I have all the wheels to mount. I just have to stain, seal, and glue it all together then put the wheels on. I am using the wheels the come with the 26 kettle and then two wheels that swivel and lock on the other end. Will post more when I have time.

Last edited:
No problem, just looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Also, just noticed in my email (I am getting reply notifications) that you had some links in your original response, and that you're using photobucket. When you have a picture open on the photobucket webpage, click on the IMG under Share This Photo (on the right column), and paste that link into your reply. The image will show up like this one below.

Looks really good. :)

Edit: Looks like you figured it out before I got this reply done. :)

Thanks Matt. I'll be posting more images now I figured out how to do it and provide some information on how I built it. In the next week or two it will be complete. I can't wait. I refused to use the new grill until the cart was built and I've had the grill for a month and a half now. I want to cook on it real bad!

Char, yes it is butcher block. I purchased this piece at Ikea. It cost only 80 dollars. I didn't think the price was too bad. I'm using a stain and sealer from General Finishes. The sealer is called Outdoor Finish. It is made for any wood furniture used outside.

DSC03091_zpsydft9rvy.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I stained and used the Outdoor oil on the table top. It looks pretty good. We had company over on Saturday so didn't have much time to work on it. I'll have four days off this weekend but that because I'm having knee surgery. It's outpatient so it shouldn't be that bad. I hope to glue things together this weekend and I can put the wheels and grill on it.

Back