Go-to Rib Temp/Cooker?

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
First I want to join in with everyone and say thanks for joining us for this Q&A. I also want to say that I've learned quit a bit from your "Weber’s Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking With Live Fire" and still use it as a go-to cookbook. So thanks for that too!

You've said that you're a low & slow guy, and that you'll do ribs & chicken "quite a bit higher" than 225-250. What do you consider "quite a bit higher" specifically when it comes to ribs? Also, what's your go-to rib cooker (and why) when doing ribs?

Thanks again!

Also: Which do you prefer, pork or beef ribs?

Last edited:
Thanks, Brian. I usually cook my pork ribs at 250 to 300. That might not sound like "quite a bit higher" but it makes a big difference in the bark. The WSM produces consistently great results, so that's my go-to cooker. It never fails me. Beef ribs I cook in the range of 275 to 300. If the temperature falls below that, the fat does not render well. It's hard to pick between pork and beef ribs. Today I'm going to go with beef ribs because I don't eat them as much as I'd like. You have to be sure to buy the plate ribs (4 bones per rack) with a lot of meat on top. Those are the ones Wayne Mueller showed me how to barbecue at Louie Mueller Barbecue in Texas. The recipe is in my new book.

Back