Chris Lilly question

Frank C. in NY

TVWBB Member
I have been using the CL method from this site since day one for me with my WSM. I have had a ton of success with it! My only crutch has been using a commercial BBQ sauce with it for the sammiches. I would like to finally move to the next step in my road to BBQ and make homemade sauce. I don't really have any idea where to start with the exception that I have been mostly Sweet Baby Rays Hickory and Brown Sugar and I am please with it.

So, can anyone share with me a good recipe for a tomato based sauce to go with Mr. Lilly's rub and injection method?

Thanks in advance!

Frank,
On his forum there is a section below for sauces. Go there and look at the thread about Kevin Kruger's sauce thread. You will find many different sauces here. Try them and see which you like the best.
Ray

Steve Petrones #5 Sauce is killer:

"No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)"

Copied from his original Post. ALWAYS a crowd pleaser. Also very easy to make it your own with some tasty additions/tweaks. For example, I add a Scotch Bonnet and a Jalapeno, from the garden, and give it a ride in the blender prior to simmering.

I'll second the Kevin Kruger sauce recipes. Especially the one with the pineapple. That's my go-to recipe, although I also use some of his others....the one with the coffee or the rub with the ground coffee.

I used to make a KC-style sauce to go with my PP, because the folks who would eat it were looking for that kind of sauce. Over the last couple of years, I've brought nearly all of them over to the Carolina-style (vinegar-based) sauce. IMO, KC-style sauces mask the flavor of the pork too much; with a Carolina-style sauce, the vinegar cuts through the fattiness of the pork and really enhances the flavor. Of course, there are always some hold-outs, so I keep a bottle of SBR in the fridge.

BTW, here's my Carolina sauce recipe:
1-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

It's best to make it a few days ahead so the flavors can meld a bit.

Last edited:
BBQ Sauce? We donneed no steenkin' BBQ sauce!

You didn't say what you were using the sauce on. When I foil ribs or butts I add 1/4 C of apple juice to the "boat". After the cook I pour the liquid into a bowl and place it in the freezer to let the fat coagulate. Afterwards, I scrape it off and discard. What remains 's is basically an apple jelly (gelatinous goop) that dissolves at room temp. I heat it up and filter it. Back into the pan I add 1 TBS of a commercial BBQ sauce and a dash or two before bringing it to a boil. That's my sauce.

Back