Adding charcoal during long cooks

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I have really enjoyed your books and just pre-ordered the iBooks version. I'm new to grilling with charcoal and Just recently purchased a Performer. I have a question about adding charcoal when I'm doing a longer cook to maintain temps on my Performer. After I add the charcoal do I leave the lid off for some time for the new charcoal to catch or do I replace the lid immediately?

Good question! And thanks for compliment about my books. Usually you don't need to leave the lid off. The only times I would do that are 1) if you are concerned about chemicals in the briquettes that you wanted to burn off 2) you want the new coals to light really quickly (the increased air flow would speed up combustion. I usually add lump/natural charcoal to the burning embers and close the lid right away. Just be sure to vents open on the lid and down below. Also sweep ashes away so they don't block the air flow.

I hope you enjoy your Performer. My new book has lots of great recipes (and step-by-step techniques in photos) for barbecuing on a charcoal grill. Hint hint.

Thank you Jamie. Right now I'm spending a lot of time with your Weber's Way To Grill Book.

Back