How do you reconcile competition bbq with cooking food you enjoy?

Slap Yo Daddy BBQ Classes

euge.lee

TVWBB Member
First of all, it was great to see a fellow Asian on the show and because I grew up in Hacienda Heights, that much more interesting you live in Diamond Bar. Congrats on the show.

The thing I most remember about you on BBQ Pitmasters was how you cringed in disgust at a sauce you made for a particular competition, but yet you still used that sauce for you ribs because you thought that's what the judges would like. This seems odd to me because if you do indeed win, are you truly proud of your final product? Would you serve your "winning recipe" at a dinner party for friends?

And winners proudly display their 1st place ribbons/trophies at their BBQ restaurants... if you're hired to cater an event based on the marketing of "most winning BBQ team in CA"... do you serve the competition recipe?

I hope this doesn't sound like a negatively stated question... I don't mean it in that way and I'm just very curious about this topic. Thanks!

Cooking for comps is very different than for friends and family! Flavor profiles for CBJs are regional and you've got to adjust your recipes to win. I'm proud when I win trophies and cash. To do so it's all about cooking for the judges and not myself.

If I do a catering event, I will do a simplified recipe. A contest recipe is usually too complicated to do in bulk because it has too many steps. For example, if I'm spraying ribs every 15 minutes, it's hard to do that when you're cooking a dozen cases.

Appreciate the questions. Hope I satisfied your curiosity!

Back