Southern Cal: Anyone want to buy a nice classic red gas grill?

PaulK

TVWBB Member
Hey there,

I've been a Weber devotee for years now and have a well maintained original red top gas grill with side burner that I've loved. however, a neighbor who was moving away made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a newer model and I'm making the switch.

Is there any one in the SoCal area who would want to buy my old one? I've replaced the burners (stainless) and the flavorizer bars with the really thick, high grade stainless version from ebay. It also has the hard to find built in side-smoker box. Took me almost a year of searching on ebay to find it. I also just bought a brand new cover a month or two ago.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I want it to go to an appreciative owner and if not, I'll put it at my Mom's house.

Thanks!

First, welcome to the forum PaulK. It would help to see some pics of the grill and the model and any other specs. There are many of us in SoCal. What part of SoCal are you in?

If it's one of the really new ones you might want to hang on to that red top. You may end up disappointed in the newer product after being "spoiled" with that old Genesis

Thanks Guys. I hate to be "that guy" who'd first post is a for sale post, but I tried to register multiple times over the last year or two and never got in. finally got help from a moderator.

I can post some photos - I just hadn't cleaned it yet and wanted to get a message out there to see if anyone was from California or not. It basically looks just like the one below, but the wood is not restored. Everything works - tank guage, starter, side burner, thermometer, etc. plus it has the side smoker box and a 2 month old cover. I was planning to restore the wood, but a new grill fell into my lap.

@LMichaels - I hear ya and maybe I should hang onto it for a while, but my neighbor was getting rid of a 2008 E-320 for $35 and I couldn't pass it up. Needed a starter and new grates, but finding a few deals off ebay I'm into it for $100 or so. The bottom panel is rusty, but everything else is good plus the cook surface is 1" wider, 1" deeper, 1" higher off the ground and 1" more clearance on the lid (I do out thanksgiving Turkey on the grill). The new cast iron grates are nice too. On the downsides, the tank scale and thermometer is worse. You might talk me out of it, but I think i'm willing to give it a shot.

if anyone is interested, let me know. I want it to go to a good home and otherwise I might just hang onto it and see if the newer grill sticks.

Thanks! -Paul (ps - I'm in OC)

PB063181.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. I hate to be "that guy" who'd first post is a for sale post, but I tried to register multiple times over the last year or two and never got in. finally got help from a moderator.

I can post some photos - I just hadn't cleaned it yet and wanted to get a message out there to see if anyone was from California or not. It basically looks just like the one below, but the wood is not restored. Everything works - tank guage, starter, side burner, thermometer, etc. plus it has the side smoker box and a 2 month old cover. I was planning to restore the wood, but a new grill fell into my lap.

@LMichaels - I hear ya and maybe I should hang onto it for a while, but my neighbor was getting rid of a 2008 E-320 for $35 and I couldn't pass it up. Needed a starter and new grates, but finding a few deals off ebay I'm into it for $100 or so. The bottom panel is rusty, but everything else is good plus the cook surface is 1" wider, 1" deeper, 1" higher off the ground and 1" more clearance on the lid (I do out thanksgiving Turkey on the grill). The new cast iron grates are nice too. On the downsides, the tank scale and thermometer is worse. You might talk me out of it, but I think i'm willing to give it a shot.

if anyone is interested, let me know. I want it to go to a good home and otherwise I might just hang onto it and see if the newer grill sticks.

Thanks! -Paul (ps - I'm in OC)

PB063181.jpg

That's a beautiful designed grill and if SoCal I would possibly be interested. I have a similar grill but without the wood slats on the bottom. I'm actually hoping to add the wooden slats to mine, but it's tough finding those "Z" shelf brackets for a reasonable price. Good luck, and it would definitely help posting photos of your grill rather than something from the internet so that people know what they are actually getting.

That's a beautiful designed grill and if SoCal I would possibly be interested. I have a similar grill but without the wood slats on the bottom. I'm actually hoping to add the wooden slats to mine, but it's tough finding those "Z" shelf brackets for a reasonable price. Good luck, and it would definitely help posting photos of your grill rather than something from the internet so that people know what they are actually getting.

Thanks Shane. I couldn't agree more, but haven't had the time to clean and shoot photos. Picture this one but with dirtier wood. :)

Pardon me asking but would you consider selling the 'Side Smoker Box'?

Yes. Would need a full size replacement grill for the left side though. PM me with offer.

@Bill: Thinking 175? Most beat ones on CL go for 100 and this has a $40 new cover plus the unobtanium smoker box. I'm in OC near the airport.

What were you hoping to spend? Maybe my price is high. I can also maybe sell the cover, tank and smoker box separately, but really want to try to make this easy.

It looks to be well taken care of and in beautiful condition, but it's still kind of an old grill. I would want the cover since I'd be keeping it outside. I don't need the propane tank. I don't know about the smoker box but if I remember correctly, the smoker box comes with a smaller grate, so, I'd either need the smoker box and the smaller grate or a full size grate to replace it if you wanted to sell the smoker box separately. I was hoping to spend no more than $100.

Bill

OK, finally getting back to this. Was out of the country and then got busy.

As described before, this is a well-loved Genesis original (propane, side burner) that I semi-restored about 10 years ago with a new wood handle, stainless burners, thick stainless flavorizer from that guy on ebay, etc.. It also has the rare built in smoker box that took me a year to find new on ebay. Basically, I revamped this with the thought of keeping it forever (and still might), but if someone who appreciates it wants it I'll let it go.

Photos below. Just bought cover at a cost of $45. Wood needs cleaning/painting, but all metal and paint is extremely solid.

Asking $175 obo

20160717_174533_HDR_zpsasl6eoli.jpg

20160717_174601_HDR_zpslnwbwkzp.jpg

20160717_174548_HDR_zpshp2os0w4.jpg

I am a long time Weber fan and have an old 3 burner one. For the average griller, paying $150-200 for a 10 year old grill doesn't make a lot of sense. I can go to Walmart and find all sorts of brand new grills for under $150. So..... you could probably sell these classic's for $100 or less but it will take a while to find someone willing to spend more than $150 for these nice old grills.

I am a long time Weber fan and have an old 3 burner one. For the average griller, paying $150-200 for a 10 year old grill doesn't make a lot of sense. I can go to Walmart and find all sorts of brand new grills for under $150. So..... you could probably sell these classic's for $100 or less but it will take a while to find someone willing to spend more than $150 for these nice old grills.

Thanks. That's why I am posting it here as all us us are above average (ha!) and we know that $150 grills at walmart are POSs. Price is OBO.

Back