Throwdown #34: Kebabs

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to Matthew for winning the last throwdown! It's his privilege to choose the next topic, and he's picked:

Kebabs! Or kebobs or kabobs. :)

Make kebabs on skewers, make kebab like shawarma or gyros, use any meat, vegetable or fruit--we don't care! Just show us your best kebab made with your Weber grill!

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, May 22 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

Good luck everyone!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

Matthew asked me if al pastor also counts toward this throwdown. I think so, based on what Wikipedia says:

Al pastor, also known as tacos al pastor, is a dish developed in Central Mexico, likely as a result of the adoption of the shawarma spit-grilled meat brought by the Lebanese immigrants to Mexico

Let's say that if it's cooked on a skewer, or it's cooked and carved off a spit, it fits this challenge. Would a whole rotisserie chicken fit the bill? I wouldn't think so, but curious what others think.

Trompo_de_tacos_al_pastor_zps1lolhmjg.jpg

ProtoplasmaKid / Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY-SA 4.0

curious what others think
I think you have to define "Skewer" and "Rotisserie" for this challenge. For the sake of simplicity, I'd allow both types, and simply let the votes decide the best cook resulting from the challenge

Skewer: a long piece of wood or metal used for holding pieces of food, typically meat, together during cooking
Rotisserie: a piece of equipment that turns meat over a source of heat so that it cooks on all sides

This is what's tricky about kebab or kebob or kabob. In America, it's the ubiquitous bamboo or metal skewer with chunks of meat, veg, fruit, etc that are grilled. In other cultures, it's a vertical spit/rotisserie with thin slices of meat that are roasted and the crispy, cooked edges trimmed off and served, as in the photo above. You'd be hard-pressed to grill something vertical on a spit in a Weber grill, but if someone wants to try it horizontal on a rotisserie that seems like an interesting challenge.

I guess the point is, we've got a very broad interpretation of what "kebab" is, and I agree it makes sense to let the voters decide what's the best interpretation. :)

Chris, that's a nice why of not having to say yes or no. I like it and this one is going to be very interesting I think!!!;)

I say we go with the bamboo or metal skewer with food on it that lays on the grill. No motorized skewers or rotisseries. Just my .02.

I'd say this challenge is for the little sticks that stab through multiple hunks of what ever and are laid horizontally on the cooking device, and that there should be a separate, perhaps the next, contest for spinning devices.

I definitely think bonus points should be awarded for anyone who gets their horizontal Weber rotisserie to cook vertically!

Ok Folks I'll kick this one off.

Getting the JJ ready for action.
2ro2wzl.jpg

Briqs ready, spuds on.
nb5g5c.jpg

Chicken Thighs / Red Onion / Mushroom Kebabs & my favourite Pork Belly slices.
1znofti.jpg

We're cooking!
11r3kih.jpg

Your plate. Chook Kebab / Pork Belly / Black Pudding / Baked Spud & Salad.
ohn4bc.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.

Rich & Barb, you're up!! :)

Last edited:

Back