ATC Recommendations?

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
Just logged back on here after a few years:coolkettle:

I recall back around 2003 or 2004 some of your beta testing the GURU's. I am sure they have come a long way. I have "never" needed an ATC. However, I did a small cook on Easter 13.5# brisket (midnight cook) followed by a Honey Baked ham ( freebie) everything was perfect, brisket cooked a little faster than i thought ( it usually does) so I was thinking the Guru that you can monitor via wifi would be a cool gadget. ( i.e. check the temps while at Mass on Easter Sunday ). I already use a Thermoworks temp monitor that uses the 2 k-probes.

I tried to search as best I could. Any feedback or recommendations would be helpful. Not a necessity, but I love BBQ/baking/cooking gadgets --- just helping the economy!

The forum is not the same as it used to be back in the early 2000's !!! Lots of new guys with lots of input!

#SendingSmokeSignals from FLORIDA!:wsm22:

I am new to ATC's as well. I am trying to decide between the QMaster Senior and the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2. Always have to have more gadgets and this to add to my WSM.

Take a look at the HeatMeter forum on this site. I have built a few and they work great. Makes my cooks much easier

Matt "welcome back to the forum"!

I can see from your signature You use a WSM.
I have tryed both the GURU WIFI and the DX2.
Due the fact I work and live in the same building I stopped using the WIFI because the WSM is so steady that it acts like an electric smoker.
No need to control the cooking temp.

Hello! I have been off the site for a couple of years, but now back. I have been smoking with the original Stoker WIFI for 2+ years and love it. I start brisket or pork butt at 6pm or so and it keeps the smoker at 225 all night...I barely have to check it. At 7 or 8am I take the meat off the grill, wrap it in foil, and put in a 200* oven for a couple of hours or so. I have never had a problem...perfect every time.

Not good to be at Mass and have your mind somewhere else! That said, I have been known to seriously design grills or menus during the sermon!

I love my CyberQ. Honestly, I think you will find people who really like all of the major ones out there.... from a heater neater, to Guru's to Stokers. They all have pros and cons, different price points as well. Some are for a more tech savvy DIYer down to a simple battery operated portable PartyQ.

I may be behind the times but I love my pitmaster IQ....loaded up the WSM the other night at 7pm, set it for 230, it was 12 degrees out, went to bed, never touched it again until i got up at 7 am to check it, pulled it all off at 8am......i didn't even bother with my iGrill, even though I really like it too.....

My CyberQ review on Amazon (UK)

I love a BBQ gadget and this is as good as it gets. In conjunction with an independently bought iPhone app I have been able to monitor and manage my smoker whilst out walking the dog or shopping.

You may not need to top end product there are simpler and cheaper models in their range. However CyberQ does give you the remote monitoring and a big plus is being able to monitor three food temperatures. Very handy for a big cook. CyberQ has some advanced features that I have yet to use.

It does help if you have a bit of IT technical knowhow and some familiarity with your network router but despite the lack of paper manuals there is loads of technical support material on the BBQ Guru website.

All the components came together but in separate packaging, there is no glitzy retail packaging here. It has the feel of having been made by a geek in his garden shed. It didn't have the cloth bag in the picture but by mistake they sent three extra grate probes.

The fan feels a bit lightweight and the aluminium case is a bit thin and flimsy as it the wires for the power. It could do with being beefed up a bit to stand up to some rough handling. Let's see it it holds together and doesn't fall apart. Could do with a bit more heatproof tape.

In the two cooks so far I find the fan is on an awful lot and it struggles to ramp up the temperature quickly. I wonder if it needs a bigger fan for my 57cm Weber Smokey Mountain. I found it better to set the temp to 235f in an effort to get a steady 225f. I still need more practice with it to understand how to optimise the performance.

Overall happy so far with some learning still required.

Delivered from Germany to UK, arrived quicker than originally suggested.

Back