Best way to get probes into WSM

Jeff.Ro

TVWBB Member
I've got an 18.5" WSM that I bought off craiglist and it doesn't have the probe hole in it. I'll be using the Thermoworks Pro-Series High temp probe: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html?tw=VWB#ProbeTab

I've seen some people just cut a groove just below the lip of the barrel portion so the wires don't get kinked under the lid and it seats better around the rest of the barrel portion.

Any other options?

Thought about getting one of the weber inserts and drilling a large hole through the side.

Thought about getting a silicon grommet from maverick but don't know if it would fit over the Thermoworks probes. I'm guessing you could probably get it over the probe but only if the grommet isn't installed on the side of the smoker. Here's the maverick grommet. http://www.maverickhousewares.com/parts/et-732-silicone-grommets

What are your guys thoughts/setups?

Get yourself a nice sharp small drill bit. Drill a starter hole. Then, get a step drill and open it up as big as you want. Next, go to here and get appropriate size grommets.

I've done the slot on an old 18" and now have the grommet on my new 22".

If I had to do it again, I'd go with a hole+grommet versus the slot. There's nothing wrong with the slot in terms of functionality, but the hole+grommet certainly looks cleaner and more professional.

High temperature rated grommets for Weber Smokey Mountains, kettles, and stacker conversions with 1/16 inch panel thickness are: Weber 85037 Grommet which requires a 1 1/4 inch cut hole; Mil Spec 5 Grommet, Silicone, 3MRT1 which requires a 13/16 inch cut hole; or Mil Spec 5 Grommet, Silicone, 3MRR9 Grommet which requires an 11/16 inch cut hole. I highly recommend the use of a high speed steel step-drill and lube for cutting the hole; excellent USA made on eBay. The 3MRR9 grommet is the lowest cost option since you will be getting a package of five and it has the smallest drilled hole with 7/16 center hole for inserting your probes. The next recommendation is the 3MRT1 grommets (pkg of 5) and has a 1/2 inch center hole for inserting probes. All items can be found on eBay.

Mine came modified...I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

I'm still not sure about Weber's logic behind a rectangular door covering a round (domed) hole. I wish it were cut square at the top. I can slide in ribs and 9x9 pans, but a square opening would be more beneficial (larger opening) and easier to access.

Bob Farr: All those grills in your signature got me seeing double...:cool:

I have the hole and grommet set up on my 22" WSM. I do use the it for the smoker temp probe, I stick it in and use the grommet to hole it in place. For the meat probes it much easier to notch the rim. Make the notch just deep enough that you can remove the top rack with out the bottom rack wire being in the way. Best of both worlds.

Bill,

I need to downsize and began with removing most of the graphics from my signature. Now I have to reduce the number of grills in my stable, but converting two of them into smokers beginning with a Jumbo Joe and then one of the 22.5 Original Kettles. Will get rid of the other kettles so that I can get my car into the garage. I have the same problem with trying to gain grate real estate; square pans in a round hole. Looking at round stainless grill pans and baskets to maximize use of limited space. Going vertical with stackers will definitely help. I have more time then money so it will take some time well spent.

Andrew,

I have not tried the notching of the rim, but do understand that access to chamber is easier not having to fumbling with probe cables and the potential of braking a digital thermometer if something falls.

I'm still not sure about Weber's logic behind a rectangular door covering a round (domed) hole. I wish it were cut square at the top. I can slide in ribs and 9x9 pans, but a square opening would be more beneficial (larger opening) and easier to access.
The access door opening in the 22.5" WSM was originally rectangular. It's my understanding that it was difficult to manufacture a perfectly round middle section of that circumference with such a large opening in the side, that the circle tended to flatten slightly across the top of the door opening. That flattening contributed to the poor fit of the access door to the middle section. Adding the curvature to the opening added more rigidity to that area, preventing it from flattening as much. This is not a problem with the 14.5" or 18.5" WSM because the circumference of the middle section is smaller.

Still, you've got a poor fitting door because it was never modeled properly during design, in the opinion of former Weber engineer Mike Durso.

DSC01791-01.jpg

sheilacochran.jpg

I don't know if it's the best way, but I used riv-nuts. Aka, pop-nuts. They're threaded, so I install a machine screw when not in use. I think I used a #10 size which is real close to the probe diameter. The drill I used was around 5/16, so the drilled hole is small when compared to grommets. The only concern is the possibility of heat from the drum affecting the probe due to the contact. I use 12" probes, so the wire, etc. is outside of the drum. Only the probe is inside. Keeps the probe wires cleaner. You have to do a little planning for placement so that the probe aligns with the meat.

I cut a shallow slot in mine. You don't have to go below the lip on the middle section much if any at all. I was happy with mine. I would start with a drill bit, like Benjamin suggested, maybe a 3/16 or 1/4". Then use an angle grinder to cut down to it. I'd start with the middle section upside down on a bench, place the drill bit at the angle between the side and lip and drill at about 45 degrees. That should be plenty far down for your slot to stop.

I used a modified trailer hitch wire receptacle. I took the inner parts out and sawed off the back so it is just 1/2" long, then Pop-Riveted it to the side of the smoker. It's easy to pass 90 degree temp probes through the opening and minimal smoke/heat escapes during use.

48305.1.jpg

Back