Judging at 5th Annual Santa Anita Winners' Circle BBQ Championship, Arcadia CA 4/2/16

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be judging barbecue tomorrow at the 5th Annual Santa Anita Winners' Circle BBQ Championship in Arcadia, CA. Come out and eat some barbecue, drink some beer, and watch the ponies! Hope to see you there!

http://santaanitabbq.com/

Gotcha; thank you sir. I'll aim to arrive early in hopes of getting a jump on long lines.
My tickets read 12 is why i ask.

Johnny... Have fun tomorrow ! Hopefully our paths will cross.
If we don't do the extras, they 'generally' let us loose about 1:00PM. Both of us will be in the big white tent.

Chris... see you in the morning.

Hey Bob, wish I would of saw this last night. It was an amazing event and would do it again definitely. We tasted so much food and it was all really good. Also learned that I'm horrible at picking horses. Lol

Got a chance to introduce myself to Chris around 2:30 but left around 3:30 or so, we were beat (arrived at 10:30). Hopefully we cross paths at another event.

Johnny

Glad you made it out there today. Comp events are almost always offer an enjoyable, fun time. This event is one of the most enjoyable. This was the 5 year of the event and 3 past grand champions were also cooking this event. Make for some great food. We were in the tent a little later than 1 pm due to also judging the extra category (mac 'n cheese). Have the feeling our paths will cross. Next event is smaller event at Wildomar in 2 weeks. Then there's another big one at Long Beach, next to the Queen Mary, on the 14th of May.

Bob

Glad we I made it out as well, I was on the fence after reading some reviews online but they were not entirely accurate. I'll most likely be at the Long Beach event, for sure.

Does anyone have the results for this comp yet?

One of the tvwbb members, JerryA, took the Reserve Grand Champion... Burnin N Lootin !!!
Results are here

Last edited:
Got a chance to introduce myself to Chris around 2:30 but left around 3:30 or so, we were beat (arrived at 10:30). Hopefully we cross paths at another event.

Glad you saw me and said hello. It's always nice to meet TVWBB members in-person! Also glad you had fun at the event, it's one of the best ones in California.

One of the guys that went to the same Harry Soo class I went to was on the Rooftop BBQ team, guess it paid off!

Glad you saw me and said hello. It's always nice to meet TVWBB members in-person! Also glad you had fun at the event, it's one of the best ones in California.

:cheers: Sorry I had interrupted your convo with the other fella and his daughter...lol

One of the guys that went to the same Harry Soo class I went to was on the Rooftop BBQ team, guess it paid off!

Nice! There's hope for me after all. :D

Just an fyi... Andy Allen (Rooftop BBQ) and JerryA (Burnin' N Lootin') are teaching this Saturday's CBBQA BBQ101 class at the Woodshed OC. I think Andy's teaching this time, as he normally does. Not sure who from Rooftop was at the SYD class.

Class is being rescheduled due to forecast weather.

Last edited:
Chris, are you going to be at the Long Beach event in May? If not, when is the next SOCAL event you will be at? TIA

Just an fyi... Andy Allen (Rooftop BBQ) and JerryA (Burnin' N Lootin') are teaching this Saturday's CBBQA BBQ101 class at the Woodshed OC. I think Andy's teaching this time, as he normally does. Not sure who from Rooftop was at the SYD class.

Ugh, I'd so sign up but I'm committed to getting my first brisket going this weekend.

I can't wait for the next comp in May.

I'm going to take my time this time around and really do my hw on what folks are using out there as far as equipment (ATC) and fuels - can't wait.

Back