PERFECT Hot Sauce

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I have been searching and searching for the perfect hot sauce recipe and finally found it. Sometimes, the heat overpowers the flavours and sometimes it's meh. I put this on everything and it's wonderful.

There is only a little heat at the start and about 4-5 seconds later, my version builds a nice overall warmth in the mouth but doesn't grab you by the throat. The warmth stays with you for about 3-5 minutes and gradually fades away. There is no stomach upset with this either. I found it to be the perfect (so far, anyways) hot sauce.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. FYI, my version is in black (originally published is in red):

This recipe will give you about 7-8 six ounce bottles of pure heaven (two 12 oz bottles plus 3 of the size in the pic --6oz?).

1 tbsp olive oil
2 cans of pineapple bits, juice and all (2 cans canned mango bits, juice and all--I couldn't find canned mangos)
1 cup chopped carrots (about one large one)
1/2 cup chopped vidalia sweet onion
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
7 red scotch bonnets de-stemmed (solely because hot sauce should be red IMO-5 unseeded, 2 seeded/veins removed) (10 habs de-stemmed)
1 Cup of Leyenda Tlacuache Mezcal Tequila (this is smokey)-DO NOT OMIT THE TEQUILA (a cup of your favourite tequila)
1 bottle of Realime lime juice (this is the small size ~ 6.5 oz) THIS QUANTITY IS REQUIRED. DO NOT "DOWNSIZE IT"
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 Roma tomatoes chopped
1/4 cup of chopped Cilantro
1/2 T sea salt (note: do NOT use table salt as there are other "ingredients" in it--iodine, anti-caking, etc that can add undesireable flavours)
1/2 T ground pepper- I omitted this as I felt it had enough heat from the peppers. You might miss the black pepper flavour but I doubt it. Your choice.

1) saute the olive oil, salt and pepper, carrots, onions, tomatoes and garlic in the tequila until the carrots are fairly soft.
2) while sauteeing, roast the bonnets over the grill/gas flame on stove to bring out more of the flavor. This can be optional but I think is a really good idea.
3) everything went into the blender, fruit syrup and all. Blend it to the consistency you like, maybe a little chunky but smooth enough to pour out of a hot sauce type bottle.

It seems like a lot of lime juice but it works out great.

It would seem that if you use FRESH pineapple/mango and FRESH lime juice, it would be better. Comments suggest that canned stuff is better, both because of the added (sweetish) syrup and more concentrated lime flavour. I've only tried it with canned so YMMV.

We had this with our Easter turkey and oh my, was it good. It was so good that people didn't put gravy on their turkey, they only used this hot sauce.

Depending on your taste sensitivity, for me the dominant flavour was the tomato. My sister in law, her first impression was of the pineapple. My brother in law, the overall flavour was wonderful and nothing predominated. You be the judge.

I found that after cooking the veggie part, it had reduced sufficiently on it's own that more time wasn't needed (nor was liquid needed to be added to thin it out).

Like that lady that adverts Franks: I put that @#$% on everything. Eggs, tomato soup, even on ham sandwiches (where I've already got my spicy stone-ground mustard). My blender wasn't big enough to hold the whole batch so do it in two stages then do a final mix in a pot before bottling. The two blends also allows the veggies to get a bit more smooth than if it was done in 1 batch. I wouldn't do it in a food processor as the liquid may "back up" into/inside the spindle.

Lastly, don't worry about the alcohol in the mix. Most of it if not all should boil out/evaporate during the reduction.

Last edited:

Back