Myella (short for My Paella-Pic heavy)

Bill D-NC

TVWBB Pro
The ingredients are a bit different and I know that I’m not using the right pan, but this a favorite around here and, I think, worth a try. I usually do a combination of sausage, chicken, and shrimp and use chicken stock, but this one was for Good Friday so I got some big Argentinian Red Shrimp, bay scallops, and some Cod.

The biggest cheat is that I use ParExcellance Yellow Rice which already has saffron and some other spices in it. I’ve only seen it, locally, at Sam’s. But it’s also available on Amazon. So here goes:

1 dozen big Argentinian Red Shrimp
¾ lb. bay scallops
1 medium Cod filet
2 cups ParExcellance Yellow Rice
4 cups Vegetable Stock
A handful of sweet cherry tomatoes
A handful of baby sweet peppers
½ small onion, medium dice
A cereal bowl of frozen green peas
1 Tbsp garlic, finely diced or pressed
Salt/Pepper/Crushed Red to taste
EVOO as needed

Peel and clean the shrimp. I saved the shells, added them to the Veggie Stock, and let that simmer until needed for the final prep.

Lightly coat the seafood in EVOO, S&P.

Halve the tomatoes and peppers, clean out the peppers, and remove the stems. Coat with EVOO, S&P and grill for marks. This should take about 15-20 minutes. Remove from grill. (This was also a good time to break out the old grill basket!)

When the veggies come off, put the shrimp & cod on, flipping once, mainly to get some color and a little smokiness. This should take no more than 10 minutes. They will finish cooking in the rice at the end of the cook.

Add the rice, peppers, onions, and tomatoes to the pan along with the warm, strained veggie stock. Let that cook on the grill until the rice is mostly done. I check it every 15 minutes or so to keep an eye on the doneness of the rice and to add liquid if needed. I did end up adding about 1 cup of water. The rice took about 45 minutes. At about 30 minutes, I added the frozen peas and the scallops.

When the rice is done and all liquid is absorbed, add in the partially cooked shrimp & cod. Cook on grill for 15 more minutes to develop a crust on the bottom.

Mangia ! ! !

Back