A Poor-Man's Sous Vide??

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I've found that the sous vide controllers are just too pricey up in the frozen North so I came up with another way to do it (but I haven't done it as I am not sure it'll work is why I'm posting this):

The "new" crock pots have their "low" temperature setting set way too high compared to my good 'ol 70's version. Anything we put in it either boils or burns. For example, for a crowd, we'll put mashed spuds in there to keep warm (low setting, not "warm" setting). They always get browned around the edges/bottom. Stew ALWAYS boils.

I've put a light dimmer switch into the line, put water in the pot and then it heat for 3-4 hours to stabilize temps. Using instant read, I'll adjust the dimmer switch down to get what I think is a good "warm" temp setting for stew, etc.

Now to my idea:

why not use the crock pot with the dimmer switch in-line to reduce the temps to what a sous vide level (ie 135-140o) for steaks, etc might be.

I know that the "real" units circulate the water but it only heats from one location. With the crock pot, it wouldn't circulate BUT it heats from 3 sides, therefore maintaining uniform temps.

Waddaya think?

And then I decided to search and found this . Go figger :rolleyes: . His method seems much more complicated than it needs to be (ie the thermocouple is not needed IMO) if you've already got the dimmer switch "pre-set" to the temp you want.

I believe there is a product that does the same thing you are doing that uses a crockpot so you should be good, and not all Sous vide machines circulate the water too so you should be good there too. I see no reason why it shouldn't work but would keep a close eye on it the first time. Buy something cheap or on sale and see if it works, good luck!

Have you seen these?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B011296704/tvwb-20

819QHG-ypXL._SL1500_.jpg

But I've already got a pot, a dimmer and a thermo ;-) although it does look like an attractive sub for a "true" sous vide contraption.

Let us know how it works out - I might do the same... some things like AC motors don't like dimmers, I found that out the hard way (put one on a portable house fan).

...I just asked my tech, he said he didn't think it'd work. I asked why and he said it might interfere with the crock pot's control circuits, like it'd either be off or on.

...(my idea), if you could add the dimmer between the crock pot's circuitry & the crock pot's heater - that might be more likely to work

I have already used the dimmer assembly with it with very successful results (although not as low as 140 though). It'll be a while before I try it though as we've got just a bit o' turkey left over from yesterday :eek: Off or on is all I'm looking for as ours is just a plain jane off/low/high. No 'programming' or timing involved.

You'll probably be alright so long as it's a simple crock pot like mine. Hoping it works out for you, I might try it on mine if it does.

Interesting,I have a newave electric hot plate and is very precise on temps,think they start at 100 ,may try a test run to cks temps with a pot and a lid.will let you know how it works out

just remember to check the temp with an 'external' thermometer to verify accuracy. I haven't tried yet as beef is seldom on my menu (although any meat will do as long as you have a "target" temperature to aim for..

I have one of the contraptions in post 4 of this thread. prior, I just set the crock pot on low, had it full of water, and left the top off. it would maintain about 155 (I had my maverick 732 in the water). a couple times it tried to climb and I just added a couple ice cubes and it steadied it right up.

my plans for this.... probably the same idea, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, though I may try it on high them for quicker response through the hysteresis of the product.

Honestly, I would suggest just getting an Anova precision cooker. It's compact and it is literally set it and forget it. No fooling around with a dimmer to try and get the right temp and possibly mess up your meal.

Back