Thread: Chocolate Cherry Fudge

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar

Chocolate Cherry Fudge

Not many fudge recipes here and I don't usually make it but I found this one and just couldn't resist. Uses 60% dark chocolate and dried cherries. Sub in your favourite dried fruit/nuts:

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    2/3 cup evaporated Milk
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    1 2/3 cups Ghiardelli Dark Chocolate Chips (60% cacao)
    3/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1) spray 8-inch-square baking pan with Pam/non-stick spray. Put a layer of wax paper (could also use alum foil but it wrinkles and I didn't want pieces to get stuck in the fudge) so it overlaps the sides (easier to lift out) then spray again.

2) using a wooden spoon (won't conduct the heat) combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

3) mix in marshmallows, morsels, dried cherries and vanilla extract. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted. Pour into prepared baking pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; remove wax paper. Cut into 48 pieces.

Nice and smooth and oh so chocolately. For the adult palette (because it's not MILK chocolate). Nothing wrong with milk chocolate, just not for me.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

This sounds great! I might do half as described and add toasted pecans or almonds to the other half.....
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

Len,

I tried your recipe for fudge. It did not set up so it can be cut into pieces. I used a double boiler to melt the ingredients together. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    P. Larson

TVWBB Emerald Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    It may not have been hot enough. Remember, it has to get to a full rolling boil for 4-5 minutes to get the sugar completely melted/converted. You won't get a boil in a double boiler. It's not enough to just get it to 212o. It's ok to melt chocolate but not for sugar.

I think the temp is classed as "soft ball" stage. Thats 235o. Water is only 212o. You do the math This recipe does not require a candy thermometer is why I like it. Just the boil.

Do it in a pot directly on the heat and stir with wooden spoon (better than metal as it won't conduct heat to your hand). Make sure it boils the full time. But be very careful. Boiling sugar is way way hotter than boiling water. Reference step "2"

Also, use a large enough pot because it does "foam up". Maybe a 4 Qt? If it gets too high, just lift one side of the pot, leaving the other side in contact with the element. The foam will subside but still maintain the rolling boil.
    Last edited by Len Dennis; 12-18-2016 at 08:54 PM.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :